Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?

Article about: Dear all, May I show you this Bavarian spiked helmet? What do you think about? Military? Civil? The chin strap with this kind of rosettes and lion heads looks more adequate for fire brigade?

Default Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?

Dear all,

May I show you this Bavarian spiked helmet please? What do you think about? Military? Civil? The chin strap with this kind of rosettes and lion heads looks more adequate for fire brigade? Reissue? Or messed? All comments are wellcome.

Thank you very much!

With best wishes
    alter musketier

Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 01-11-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?
    P
    Many

I'm no expert at all but something just looks off to me.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Silver fittings would indicate a pioneer battalion. In 1896 Bavarian foot regiments switched to this style Pickelhaube, some of these helmets were equipped with a leather chinstrap with a single buckle, but it should have the 1891 chinstrap post. Military helmets should have at least a Land Kokarde.

Yes, most likely this was supposed to be either a Bavarian pioneer helmet, or 1st Lieb Regiment helmet, since it has all silver color fittings on the helmet.

But, someone somewhere in time added an incorrect style of chinstrap, and the incorrect lion head mounts on the sides of the helmet that hold the incorrect style of chinstrap in place on the helmet in question. Unfortunate indeed. I suppose it's possible that the helmet may have been used as a fire brigade helmet, which could "possibly" be one explanation of several as to why the helmet has the strange almost rauppenhelm style of chinstrap on it, and the lion side bosses on the helmet.

Best Regards,

Alan

Dear Chopperman, Dear aicusv, Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for your answers and information!

I possess the helmet since my early youth when my parents bought it for me from a military antique shop in the beginning of the 80s. It was great to get a spiked helmet as a gift by my parents and I loved it! Unfortunately in the course of time doubts have started about its provenance.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

?

Quote by Alter Musketier View Post
    Dear Chopperman, Dear aicusv, Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for your answers and information!

I possess the helmet since my early youth when my parents bought it for me from a military antique shop in the beginning of the 80s. It was great to get a spiked helmet as a gift by my parents and I loved it! Unfortunately in the course of time doubts have started about its provenance.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    That's what started me, my Dad bought me a artillery helmet for my Birthday.

Default this is mi helmet

My father had found it as hi was 20 years old in an attic

?

Just my thoughts, Regardless of authenticity at that point in time , we didn't have the internet and some / most information was scarce in association with these items.. That being said I think you all did well sharing time with your fathers. And look where you are now.. Fine collectors... "Priceless" to spend moments such as this. JMO.. I hope you agree that they actually had time to share with you a certain passion you still have.. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Moments fondly remembered and often missed.

I had a couple old bayonets that I had found but what really got me going
    was when on my 16th birthday, An old family friend who learned about my
    interest gave me a m16 steel helmet and a sawtooth bayonet that her husband
    sent home as souvenirs from ww1.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bavarian Pickelhaube / spiked helmet: What do you think about please?  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast