Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Field great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal Pickelhaube

Article about: Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal Pickelhaube This is my first pickup of 2023 and is a quite scarce field grey Pickelhaube sized 54. This example started out in 1914 as a regular black painte

Default Field great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal Pickelhaube

Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal Pickelhaube

This is my first pickup of 2023 and is a quite scarce field grey Pickelhaube sized 54. This example started out in 1914 as a regular black painted steel Pickelhaube with brass fittings that was re-painted in light field grey perhaps mid to late 1915? I’ve always viewed these repainted Prussian pressed steel versions as the first of german steel helmets or the precursor to the iconic M16 and so on. Perhaps the first use of field grey during WW1?

In a few areas the original black paint can be seen poking through while the shell has a couple of dents. Both Korkades rest snugly against the shell and appear to have been there undisturbed for a very long time. Inside is a supple lightly tanned leather liner tied together with its original leather chord. There is a layer of felt below the leather to ensure a comfortable fit. This one is in such nice condition that it may not have seen the battlefield or wore a cover most of the time. The the grey paint on the chinstrap attachments and leather, as well as the missing paint showing the original brass on the Wappen are all little touches that I feel give this one a lot of character.

I was verypleased to add this to the collection as I have been looking for one for a number of years and they rarely come up, and when they do they get snapped up pretty rapidly.

Andy
    Field great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal PickelhaubeField great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal PickelhaubeField great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal PickelhaubeField great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal PickelhaubeField great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal PickelhaubeField great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal PickelhaubeField great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal PickelhaubeField great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal PickelhaubeField great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal PickelhaubeField great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal Pickelhaube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Field great painted Imperial Prussian M1915 EM metal Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

Really nice, Andy.
    And from the point of view of the evolution of the German helmet, an essential piece to understand it.

Regards
    Santi

?

Splendid example, Andy.. I’d really like one of these.
    Mightily well done!
    Cheers,
    Rob

Thank you very much SantI! Your comment regarding the evolution of the German helmet is great! And to think it would only be 20 years later that the perfectly formed M35 would appear.

Thank you Rob! I believe I saw this one appear a few years ago and missed it (as I have several others) - I do think missing pieces actually sharpens you’re trigger finger as time goes by and as they say patience pays off in the end. I do hope you get one. They are out there! Just a waiting game.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Great looking helmet Andy - i like these as they are so different from the usual Pickles - very muted, which is attractive in its own special way

nick

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Great looking helmet Andy - i like these as they are so different from the usual Pickles - very muted, which is attractive in its own special way

nick
    Thanks Nick! Yes, they do look very nice in field grey.

What a fantastic and historically important helmet! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much Chris!
    Last edited by AndyM35; 01-28-2023 at 11:59 AM.

Quote by christek View Post
    What a fantastic and historically important helmet! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Chris!

A nice acquisition, well done on finding it!

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast