Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying a German WW1 pickelhaube

Article about: Hi everyone, I'm asking for help to identify one of my three helmets (I have a couple of other threads elsewhere on this forum in, hopefully, their appropriate subforums asking the same thin

Default Help identifying a German WW1 pickelhaube

Hi everyone,

I'm asking for help to identify one of my three helmets (I have a couple of other threads elsewhere on this forum in, hopefully, their appropriate subforums asking the same thing).

I bought this helmet in about 2012 at an antique dealer in Tasmania, Australia. I have looked online and I think it's a Prussian or Bavarian pickelhaube. It's obviously in pretty rough shape; the shape is distorted, the front visor has come off at some stage and been reattached off-centre, the back visor is coming off, the liner is gone completely, amongst other defects. The chinstrap and cockades are reproductions.

I'd like confirmation or correction from you as this was not a hobby I went into fully as many of you have.

All help is appreciated as I am looking to sell this soon if it's going to be worthwhile. Any thoughts on what it's worth?

Help identifying a German WW1 pickelhaubeHelp identifying a German WW1 pickelhaubeHelp identifying a German WW1 pickelhaubeHelp identifying a German WW1 pickelhaubeHelp identifying a German WW1 pickelhaubeHelp identifying a German WW1 pickelhaube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying a German WW1 pickelhaube
    P
    Many

?

Hello, this is a Prussian Pickelhaube from World War I with metal fittings, the photo does not clearly show the markings, which would be helpful here. The bows and belt are rather reproductions.

Thank you, johny. I've had another close look and cannot see any markings, printing or stamps at all anywhere on the helmet. I guess they've been eroded by sweat and use.

MAP
    ?

I'm on my cell phone and will try to look in more detail later.

Given the nickel silver fittings this is a pre war Haube.

It also has two sets of holes for the wappen. Uncommon but not necessarily a problem. Need to look at the whole helmet to make a determination

The Corkades look to be repainted. Hard to tell if they are original or reproductions.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Would like to see a photo of the front with the wappen removed. See what type of ghosting there is on the helmet to maybe judge how long the wappen has been in the helmet.

Looks like it is worthy of a restoration. Although the missing liner is a significant negative. Need to look and see what type of unit wore these. I don't remember off the top of my head. It could be Pioneer but this wappen is larger than other examples I'm familiar with. There as so many unique variations that it is difficult for me (a non expert) to know them all.

Model 1895 Preußen Pioniere Battalion 30 Pickelhaube

Here is a link with both the larger and smaller weapons

Little-uns vs. Big-uns or, Comparing Wappen sizes

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The fittings are definitely metal, magnetic, feldgrau colored, so it is a pickelhaube model 1915. The double holes for the wappen may indicate that it was previously a Bavarian pickelhaube - they had smaller spacing, and double eyelets can be found quite often. Example of a Bavarian pickelhaube model 1915.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying a German WW1 pickelhaube  

MAP
    ?

From the first photos the fittings appeared to be tarnished nickel silver to me. If they are steel, as you note, then there is not much more for me to add beyond what you already have stated

?

Strap and cockades look new. Rear peak is coming away . No liner! It is what it is. It’s not going to make you RICH. Rob

Here is the ghosting from the wappen (I'm learning a lot here, I like it!). The cockades have definitely been repainted. The chin strap is a replacement.

Quote by MAP View Post
    There as so many unique variations that it is difficult for me (a non expert) to know them all.
    One reason I'm giving this hobby away...

Quote by Kryton View Post
    Strap and cockades look new. Rear peak is coming away . No liner! It is what it is. It’s not going to make you RICH. Rob
    So long as it's saleable, it's all good. I'm more just looking to clear out my helmets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast