Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1915 Prussian Reserve Army Pickelhaube

Article about: Hi All, For your viewing is my recently purchased M1915 Prussian Reserve Army Pickelhaube. This is the 2nd of four items I set out to purchase this year. While I originally wanted a Wuerttem

?

Default M1915 Prussian Reserve Army Pickelhaube

Hi All,
    For your viewing is my recently purchased M1915 Prussian Reserve Army Pickelhaube. This is the 2nd of four items I set out to purchase this year. While I originally wanted a Wuerttemberg Pickelhaube, I have been having some trouble finding one in the condition and at the price I would prefer. This however will serve as a nice stand in until I can obtain the Wuerttemberg Helmet.

The helmet is in decent shape and will display nicely. I have to say I'm very pleased to have this as the Picklehaube, next to the Iron Cross, to me is the epitome of the German military.

Thanks for looking!

M1915 Prussian Reserve Army  Pickelhaube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1915 Prussian Reserve Army  Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

Default Re: M1915 Prussian Reserve Army Pickelhaube

yuengling325, this is nice Pickelhaube, but is not a Model 1915, but a much earlier helm, Model 1895 updated in 1897 with the "Reichs Kokarde" to comply with new regulations. The fittings on this helmet are brass, on the Model 1915 all fittings were subdued, in a grey phosphate colour (chemically coloured) and the spike was removable, the spike on the M1895 is not removable.The wappen (front badge) is fitted with a "Landwehr cross" this is its proper title, not reserve cross, although the helmet would of worn by a member of the Prussian reserve forces, confused ? Landwehr/Reserve crosses are a minefield, there were many varients....study this article to have a better understanding...Colonel J's - Articles - Reserve Crosses the Basics
    Your helm appears to be not fitted with the inside reinforcing plate for the spike assembly, either not fitted or removed at some point, and the chinstrap needs to be on the outside of the wappen, however it does not detract from a super looking helmet, are there any markings on the rear visor ? Thanks for showing !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your input! I was actually waiting for your comments as I was sure I had made some error in identification being this is my first Pickelhaube. I've been using, 'Spiked Helmets of Imperial Germany' by Wm. Randall Trawnik as a study guide, and unfortunately some of the images give a brass appearance to the metal pieces, which led me to believe the M1915 on occassion used brass fittings.

The article you provided, which uses the same chart as 'Spiked Helmets' does help to clarify the meaning behind the Landwehr Cross. 'Spiked Helmets' discusses it briefly, but not in the same detail.

As for markings, there is what appears to be an acceptance or inspection mark on the underside of the front brim, however it's hard to make out. No markings that I can see on the rear brim, however I will perform a more thorough inspection later tonight. It would be nice to find a regimental marking.

The chinstrap I will tackle moving tonight as it involves lossing it a bit to get it out from under the Wappen.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it and think I got it at a descent price (not that this matters, but it helps me to sleep at night!). Like I said in my previous post though, the Wuerttemberb Pickelhaub is my white whale at this point! This current helmet however will serve as a very suitable stand in until that can be obtained!

Eric, rather than losen the chinstrap, it will be easier to remove the leather wedges (carefully) and take off the wappen, and then lengthen the chinstrap...do not clean your pickelhaube, leave as is.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thanks again, Steve. I didn't read this and was able to release the chinstrap from under the wappen by loosening the chinstraps without issue. Looks much better! And no worries about cleaning, it's going on display just as is.

Unfortunately, no markings that I can find, but I'm OK with that. Thanks again for your input!