Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prussian Ersatz Pickelhaube - Real or fake??

Article about: Hi eveyone, Looking to buy this almost mint Prussian Ersatz Pickelhaube. It lacks the desired patina but looks almost mint. To mint maybe. Looks it was polished a little to much for my likin

Default Prussian Ersatz Pickelhaube - Real or fake??

Hi eveyone,

Looking to buy this almost mint Prussian Ersatz Pickelhaube. It lacks the desired patina but looks almost mint. To mint maybe. Looks it was polished a little to much for my liking. But on the other hand a beauty.

What do you think real or fake. The kokardes are repro as the seller admits. The chinstrap a also a question mark, but is the dome legit. That's my main concern.

What do you think?

Cheers Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Prussian Ersatz Pickelhaube - Real or fake??
    P
    Many

I’m not an expert in pickelhaubes but it seems like the felt part is not original and the other parts are original but just added. I think the felt would have way less nap if it was that old

Paul, I like the shell and liner on this example and I have one in a very similar condition. It’s a shame the photos are so poor. I like how the liner has been sewn into the shell. The shadow of the Wappen speaks to how long it has been in situ and I like it but based on the photo and angle, I can’t give a conclusive comment on its originality. The spike and rear spine look good and I agree regarding the polishing which has ruined it as it no longer matches the appearance of the inside. I would be interested to know how the two Wappen loops were secured to the inside of the dome in this example as this may give an idea as to whether or not it is a post was replacement.

With some appropriately aged and original korkardes I think this one would still display nicely, but I know you and I have similar tastes in patina etc so I would personally pass on this one.

MAP
    ?

What Andy said!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)