Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Saxon Busby?

Article about: G'day Team, I am familiar with the Saxon Busby made with seal fur (gulp), but haven't encountered this canvas style before. I thought it might be some sort of field cover. Does anybody have

Default Saxon Busby?

G'day Team,
    I am familiar with the Saxon Busby made with seal fur (gulp), but haven't encountered this canvas style before. I thought it might be some sort of field cover, but it appears to be sewn together and hence not removable (see interior shot). Does anybody have a similar item, or have any thoughts around it? The 'Wasserdicht' (Waterproof) brand and label is interesting, but does it feel appropriate to the period? I honestly have no idea if commercial embroidery - almost Bevo style - was around in the early 20th century. Always learning, so any assistance or thoughts welcomed. If the piece is legitimate, and bearing in mind it has a broken chinstrap (easy enough to repair) any thoughts around a 'reasonable ' price?

Many thanks (as always) in advance!
    Jim

Saxon Busby? Saxon Busby?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Saxon Busby?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Jim,

Never seen one like this before. Quite interesting! Hopefully someone knows a bit more as I certainly would like to hear more about it
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

So far from my area of collecting but I would love to have this on a shelf. It has a colonial look to it but can't find anything similar searching for that.

Reaching out to these German Colonial Uniforms might help one way or another.

Steve.

Ahhhhhhh perhaps a Colonial Busby? Interesting - never thought of that, but it certainly makes sense being made of canvas. Any thoughts on the type of manufacturer's label that is inside - is this a known brand/style for around the WW1 era? I haven't seen one like this before.

Cheers!
    Jim

MAP
    ?

Interesting label. Not sure if it is a manufacturers label per se. It says "water proof" with a patent pending (Ges Gesch) mark which dates back to no earlier than 1899.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Cheers, MAP. Yes, I translated that in the original post. Just wondering if this type of manufacturing i.e. semi-Bevo style of embroidery would be appropriate for the period? I haven't seen any other labels like this. I think it is a cracking Busby though and most of the features, except the canvas construction look as per the seal fur versions. I am going to drop a line to the chap who riuns the colonial German website, as I think this style of lightweight, but hard wearing canvas cap has a shot. I simply haven't found another example.

Thanks for your assistance!
    Jim

MAP
    ?

You might want to try looking at Kaisers Bunkers website or contacting Tony there as well