Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Uhlan Tschapka

Article about: Dear Member of the forum, I found this Uhlan Tschapka for a fair price. I am far to be an expert on this Tschapka, I only see it is not in so good shape with the interior missing, some hooks

?

Default Uhlan Tschapka

Dear Member of the forum,

I found this Uhlan Tschapka for a fair price.
    I am far to be an expert on this Tschapka, I only see it is not in so good shape with the interior missing, some hooks missing and also some old repairs.
    I would like to have your opinion on it, is it an original Tschapka or just another ugly fake ?

Kind regards

Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka
    Uhlan Tschapka

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Uhlan Tschapka
    P
    Many

Thanks for posting this. It is a good learning lesson for all of us.

You bought a tshapka that has been heavily messed with.

Take a look at the front visor. The edges are square cut, which is a big mistake. Someone sewed on a Bavarian or a Dragoon style front visor to this tschapka shell. Or better I should say that someone used ?domed screws with brass nuts to hold the visor on to the front of the tschapka.

All Tschapkas had rounded front visors.

The back edge of the helmet body has been cracked and patched over in modern times.

Extra set of holes behind the front plate.

The "Ulan" label inside of the mortar board is hard to read. If we could see a better photo close up of the label, it would help. From what my eyes see initially, it does fortunately look like it is named to someone who was in the 3rd Guard Ulan Regiment, which would be correct for having a silver guard ulan enlisted eagle on the front of the tschapka.

Someone assembled the 2-kokardes on to the helmet "Repro India Modern Made Helmet Style" with the cockades in front or on top of the chinscales, instead of behind the chinscales, directly against the tschapka exterior.

The tschapka should have only 1-National colors kokarde on the wearer's right side of the tschapka. There would not have been a 2nd-National color kokarde on the wearer's left side. A Prussian feldzeichen in white/black color would have been worn from the front edge of the mortar board.

I hope that you paid a very small price for this tschapka. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this piece.

On the positive side: the front plate eagle looks to be an original example for the 1st & 3rd Guard Ulan enlisted pattern tschapka. The chinscale set looks to be an original set.

Best Regards,

Alan

?

Dear Alan,

Many thanks for your detailled reply. It is extremly interesting and detailled, as you said very good leasson learned. I spotted some of the flaw of the Tschapka but you highlighted much more.
    I did not purchase it so far, thanks to your feedbacks, I will pass it even for a very cheap price.

Kind regards