Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Could anyone in Poland send on some small items of Polish Militaria for a reasonable price, which I will pay them for their postage and help,please ?

Article about: by LwowAK So the question is, how do we decide what is a treasure and isn't? If there is no clear definition, then perhaps everything should stay.... The Polish state has already defined wha

Default Re: Could anyone in Poland send on some small items of Polish Militaria for a reasonable price, which I will pay them for their postage and help,plea

Quote by LwowAK View Post
    So the question is, how do we decide what is a treasure and isn't? If there is no clear definition, then perhaps everything should stay....
    The Polish state has already defined what is a national treasure and the first post in this thread gives the statutuary requirements covering the export of such antiques.

When a unique and culturally highly valuable atrifact held by a private individual is offered for sale in UK it requires an export license issued by the state but also the state can impose a delay on the sale until it or another state institution such as an public art gallery or museum can rasie funds to purchase at the market value before the artifact is offered for sale to another buyer. IMO this is the fair approach for privately held 'national treasures' that are offered for sale and I would be surprised that Poland does not operate a similar system.

I would go back to my earlier point and ask what about the IIP and other Polish atrifacts held by the Sikorski Institute in London or the important Polish works of art the Kosciuszko Foundation in US should they be repariated back to Poland even though they constitute part of Polish-British and Polish-American cultural heritage but once originated in Poland.

What about national border changes that have occured throughout Polish history? How does this affect what might be defined as a Polish national treasure when for hundreds of years Poland was not a state at all?
    Last edited by StefanM; 06-17-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Default Re: Could anyone in Poland send on some small items of Polish Militaria for a reasonable price, which I will pay them for their postage and help,plea

Exactly !!!!
    The only "stable" area would be in the area of the "Duchy of Warsaw! .. the rest has been in flux since time in memorial !

Noting that one "National Treasure" was returned in 1994 .... The remains of General Sikorski.
    .. Many of the surviving "exile" soldiers were against this, as they had seen him as their figure head during the darkest days of the war, and he had rested with his loyal troops in Newark Polish Cemetery, and should have remained there as the figure head for all that they had suffered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2