Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Cross and Medal of Independence

Article about: Here is a complete ‘award package’ issued to a recipient of the Medal of Independence. It consists of the following components: 1) the decoration – full size and miniature 2) the presentatio

Default Re: The Cross and Medal of Independence

Hello "A Grandson",

Welcome to the forum. The Puchalski/Wawrzynski reference has a complete list of recipients which starts on page 81 of the book. If your grandfather is not listed there then it's unlikely he was awarded the Cross of Independence with Swords.

Do you have just the cross, or is there any accompanying documentation? Is it possible to have you post picures of the cross?

The 'barbell' you are referring was just a device used to mount decorations onto a uniform or other clothing. It was not a piece included with this decoration.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank-you for replying Tony!

I have attached a photo of the cross, I hope it comes through okay.
    I had it professionally framed along with a photo of my Grandfather a few years ago. I didn't want to disturb the framing in trying to remove it.
    I tried taking the photo without the flash, but it turned out very dull.
    The eagle in the center although hard to see from the photo, is stamped in relief rather than recessed.
    The ribbon is the original.

I am still having a hard time finding the reference book that you cited. Is it possible for you to provide the link to where you find it?

I don't have any documentation to accompany the cross.
    My father was lucky to have kept the cross alone.
    Last edited by A Grandson; 12-24-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Hello again,

You’re most welcome. Thanks for the picture. It’s good to see the proper looking swords section there, so your cross passes the all important first test! This is one of the most commonly faked Polish decorations.

I am more than willing to scan the awards list from the book and send to you vial email. If you really want to purchase a copy I do see them listed occasionally on Allegro, which is the equivalent of Poland's ebay. There are probably book retailers in Poland that can see you one. I’ll send you a pm.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thanks Tony for getting back to me so quickly on this matter.
    I also spoke with Prof. Z. Wesolowski in Ft. Lauderdale via e-mail today, who confirmed that my grandfather was issued the Cross aswell as 10 other Polish Decorations! He gave me some addresses in England and Poland to follow up with in obtaining military records. It is the real thing! I can't wait to get more information on the circumstances and to learn about his experiences. I saw an old photo today also, of Josef Pilsudski with his Supreme Command, I can't be sure but I think my grandfather was in the picture too. I found him on a database with a photo, listing him as a member of Polish Parliament in the fourth term, between 1935 -1938. My father didn't really ever talk about his past, and now he is gone. I am excited to learn all of this and to be able to compile my history for my kids to know. I will respond to your pm tomorrow. It will be Christmas Eve, so I won't expect any reply back too soon. Merry Chirstmas!

Hello, and hope everyone here enjoyed a pleasant Christmas.

Here’s the list of recipients of the Cross of Independence with Swords, taken from the book Krzyż i Medal Niepodległości (Tadeusz Wawrzynski, Zbigniew Puchalski; pub. Wydawn. Bellona. ISBN 8311083444 / 9788311083448 / 83-11-08344-4)

The list starts on page 81 and runs through page 99. The picture loading program tends to post in a random order, so all page numbers are shown to allow you to keep track of the page order.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

Another attempt to post photos on the thread - you've seen these before Antoni, a Cross with the "wrong" Swords, & a temporary award certificate:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 12-28-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Cross without Swords with booklet (for some reason the photo in the bookjlet has reproduced badly here, but that's down to me rather than the quality of the original):

Thanks for posting those photos Leigh!

The swords on that one are certainly different than the ones on my grandfathers' medal. The medal has been in my family for over 70 years now and is in really good condition compared to most that I have seen on the web.

Thank-you Tony for adding the list of recipients.

My grandfathers' name is on it.

Tony, I am wondering if you can recommend where I can take the medal to have it authenticated and to perhaps learn more about its' origin? Earlier thread postings suggest various sources producing it.
    Last edited by A Grandson; 12-29-2010 at 06:12 AM.

Hi Everyone,

You might like to view my album Cross and Medal of Independence, I have found the photographs from the Internet, they might be of interest.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hi Andrzejku,

Can you provide us with a link to this site?

Regards,
    Tony

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast