Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Current Market for IIRP Militaria

Article about: Hello All, I was musing with a fellow forum member the other day that it seems as of late that the quantity and quality of militaria being sold has greatly reduced. This includes the usual o

?

Default Current Market for IIRP Militaria

Hello All,

I was musing with a fellow forum member the other day that it seems as of late that the quantity and quality of militaria being sold has greatly reduced. This includes the usual outlets like Allegro, ebay, onebid.pl, auction houses, etc. Overall, common items 4 or 5 years ago have become hens teeth; original jeweler VMs are few and far between, it has been some time since a real rogatywka has been listed, and even enlisted regimental badges have become scarce.

It seems supply and demand are indeed at play, as prices appear to have skyrocketed on many items. I remember when I started collecting almost 15 years ago that numbered Knedler KWs were going for $100 or 300 PLN. Those days are long gone!

Question is, why has the market seemed to have dried up? Are people holding on for even more? More collectors in the market? Interested in hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Brandon

Brandon,

thank you for starting this thread. I agree with what you said and from my perspective the reason for limited supply is very high demand. I have seen maybe two or three good uniforms offered publicly. The same applies to groupings (docs / awards etc. for one person) which interests me the most.

Why demand is (too) high? I think because middle class can afford spending more on hobbies than 15 years ago. I am shocked few times a year seeing that someone spent +10k on an officer's badge without damaging the family's budged. But it seems that's the new reality. You pay peanuts, you get monkey.

On the other hand, and this is very interesting for me, collecting is more and more risky hobby due to copies. If you pay 10k for an award that only very limited group can identify as an genuine and no new experts are on the horizon, how will you sell it in 10 years? Who will be willing to buy it for such (or higher) price?

By the way, I collect officers' patents. I am focused on all auctions etc. and this year I managed to buy maybe five. Very dissapointing.

Kind regards,

Marcin
    Last edited by MarcinL; 02-06-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Hello Brandon,

Many thanks for your post, when I started collecting in the 1970's, there was not a lot available, I purchased my first Virtuti Militari for £10.00p and the Cross of Valour that came with the group for £15.00p, it was only at the start of the 1980's that Militaria Fairs started to offer genuine Polish Militaria. From the late 1970's the Market had been flooded with Panasiuk Copies, I remember one Polish dealer who started coming over to the UK in the early 1990's would come over with suitcase's full of Badges that were copies.

There are not many dealers now days that are around and deal in Polish Militaria, the best buy was a Monte Cassino Cross Numbered and genuine that I purchased for £1.00p, those days are long gone, I have over 30 Monte Cassino Cross Groups that will be handed over to my children at some point.

Recently a Monte Cassino Cross with Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords and Army Medal with the British 1939-1945 Star and Italy Star with no other items including Legitymacja sold for over £500.00p, there is admittedly more copied items seen on the likes of Ebay and Allegro.

But there are still some places that have items for sale it is just the case of searching the Internet to find them.

Best wishes

Andrzej