Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with uniform id

Article about: I have two photos of my husband's gr-uncle, Michael Toporowski, who was born about 1900-1905 in Siebieczów, Sokal, Galicia (Ukraine today). He came to Canada in 1930 and died 1935 in Alberta

Default Help with uniform id

I have two photos of my husband's gr-uncle, Michael Toporowski, who was born about 1900-1905 in Siebieczów, Sokal, Galicia (Ukraine today). He came to Canada in 1930 and died 1935 in Alberta, Canada. He is the man on the far left in both photos. I believe the photo is from the Polish military in the 1920's. I have no information on him during this time except from the photos he must have been in the military. Is there anything in the photos (uniform) that would suggest what he did in the military, rank, anything?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with uniform id   Help with uniform id  

Hello smpanko,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, your Husband's Great Uncle was a Plutonowy (Lance Sergeant), rank between a Kapral Corporal and a Sierzant (Sergeant).

It might be worth the cost of a stamp to write to the Army Records Centre at Rembertów near Warszawa (Warsaw) to see what they have on him, full address is below :

Central Military Archives,
    ul. Czerwonych Beretów 124,
    00-910 Warsaw-Rembertów
    Polska-Poland

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you. Is there a reason he would wear two different uniforms between the two pictures?

May I ask how you determined he was a Plutonowy? Is it the three stripes on his shoulder?

Hello smpanko,

Many thanks for your post in answer to your question, the answer is yes.

For a Private the epaulette was blank

For a Lance Corporal the epaulette had one stripe

For a Corporal the epaulette had two stripes

For a Lance Sergeant the epaulette had three stripes

I have attached a photo showing the various ranks of the Polish Army pre 1939

Help with uniform id

I hope that the above answers your question smpanko.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click to enlarge the photograph in a new window

?

Hello spanko

Polish uniform wz.19.Rank corporal,shooting rope-DWA CHWASTY=Very good rifle.Snakes on the flap wz.1927.Long shoes.One soldier rank lance sergeant=plutonowy.Polish artilleryman=PAL or PAC-no saber, one has a bayonet.Unit:sappers;communication.

Help with uniform id
    On the epaulettes they have regimental numbers-45?
    45th Infantry Regiment;city Równe.

Best wishes

Artur

Thanks everyone.
    On looking at the regimental number on the epaulette blown up I am wondering if the number is 65? Do you know what regiment this number would correspond with? I am wondering if they would all be from the same unit?
    Artur - Would you explain your information above a bit more? I am not understanding the reference to snakes on the flap and shooting rope. Are you referring to the man on the left as the artillery man?

Hello smpanko,

Many thanks for your post the 65th Infantry Regiment was known as : 65 Starogardzki Pułk Piechoty, which was stationed at Grudziądz.

Best wishes

Andrzej