Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .

Article about: Wladyslaw MIECZNIK Roughly translated from Wikipedia Wladyslaw Miecznik (born 18 April 1903 in Warsaw , died. 8 February 1989 in Warsaw ) - Polish coppersmith and engraver . Biography In 192

?

Default The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .

Simon’s (jaxmon) posting of the Wincenty Wabia-Wabinski story has spawned the creation of this thread devoted pre-WW2 producers of Polish badges, decorations and also other militaria including uniforms and headwear. Although the names are legendary, little is known about these men and their businesses whose products are now doggedly pursued and highly valued by collectors around the globe. This thread is for discussing these makers, their stories, along with photographs of them and their operations. Here is the place to post promotional materials, advertising and ephemera including packaging and storage/presentation cases for their products.

Regards,
    Tony

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story of Wabia-Wabinski and Icek Kweksilber :

I accidentally found this article in the vast cyberspace Wabinski before IIWW was renown jeweler in Poland. Manufacturer of some Polish medals, orders and decorations. I apologize for the print quality. I had to blown it up to be readable.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .   The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .  

The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .   The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .  

Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 04-07-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Default Re: Story of Wabia-Wabinski and Icek Kweksilber

Simon - excellent post! Interesting details on the fall from grace of an individual whose name is renowned to collectors of pre-WW2 Polish militaria. As you know, information about the pre-war makers of badges and decorations is pretty well non-existent. This is the only such coverage (positive or negative) I have ever seen about any of the legendary makers, who for the most part remain shrouded in mystery. Many thanks for posting this

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thanks Tony For us, collectors is rather astonishing news. I was too, surprised to find such a tarnished reputation.
    What if I suggest to make it "sticky" subject? I think, I can dig out more info on pre-war jewelers and engravers
    Best to you,
    Simon

?

Here is another piece of pre-war life
    Part of price-list from Adam Nagalski's firm Nice assortment Catalogue from 1935
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .  

Quote by jaxmon View Post
    . . . What if I suggest to make it "sticky" subject? I think, I can dig out more info on pre-war jewelers and engravers
    Good idea. It's a fascinating topic worthy of consideration for sticky status. I've sent you a PM.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Any chance someone could post a translatation or summary of the article for us non Polish readers? Thanks.

?

Here is short translation of this story:
    Family of jewelers Wabia-Wabinski has been known for generations in Warsaw. Wincenty has founded his elegant salon in hotel "Europejski" (European) a few good years back. He was very popular and renown in pre-war Warsaw. His clientele were rich and well known people, whom trusted him endlessly. He was an expert in court proceedings and he alone judged quarrels between other jewelers. He was known for his thrift and humble lifestile.
    Crisis came suddenly. Worth of precious stones has dropped considerably. Many other jewelers lost their fortunes or were destroyed completely. Crisis affected Wabinski as well. At first he was OK, beacuse he pawned his clients' jewelery and did not have any debts towards them. Then something happened that he started some dark speculations. Then he went into partnership with another jeweler named Kweksilber. This didn't help his situation. He was slowly going down. Soon all valuable items disappeard from his store, and after a while, to avoid his creditors, Wabinski disappeared too. He left almost empty store to Kweksilber.
    Some of his creditors informed police. Wabinski had their jewelery for sale, which he turned to Kweksilber, to pawn them. Kweksilber manipulated Wabinski and appropriated all his assets.
    Meanwhile manhunt began. Some insinuated Wabinski jumped the border, or commited suicide... Search ended after 2 months. Wabinski was arrested while leaving his lawyer's home. . . Next day, judge let Wabinski go without bail, but was supposed to be police supervised. Things turned the other way when more creditors came up with more claims against Wabinski. Court decided to arrest Wabinski again. He was cought with false passport, ready to leave the country...

I researched this story more... In conclusion, Wabinski's father-in-law, count Sapieha, declared to cover his debts

?

Even it's not my field at all, i am very happy to see that you have found something valuable and important to your field of collecting. No matter what field, it's always very nice when things like this happens Looks like an interesting story actually.

Happy collecting

Lars

Default Re: The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .

Listing of 19th and early 20th century badge and decoration producers (from W. Stela “Polish Honor and Commemorative badges 1914-1918 & 1918-1921”).

The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .

Regards,
    Tony

Default Re: The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .

Were the jewellery artisans and trade predominantly Jewish in Poland at the time?

Badge of the 1st Regiment of Cavalry, Version officer. Artist J. Kweksilber - Warsaw.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . .  
    Attached Images Attached Images The Makers: Gontarczyk, Knedler, Nagalski, Grabski, Reising, Buszek, Krupski i Matulewicz . . . 
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast