Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Miliatary Uniform Identification

Article about: Hi All! Trying to figure out ANYTHING from this portrait. The man is my great grandfather, lived in Poland from 1901-1940's. From family notes, I have that he served with a few different mil

Default Miliatary Uniform Identification

Hi All! Trying to figure out ANYTHING from this portrait. The man is my great grandfather, lived in Poland from 1901-1940's. From family notes, I have that he served with a few different military groups (on and off) from 1916 to roughly 1942 when he was sent to a concentration camp in Germany. I do not know when this photo was taken. Any assistance in identifying anything about his uniform, stars, medals would be greatly appreciated. I assume this is a Polish military photo but I don't know.
    I've also added two other photos that I believe are military related (not sure if they are of any assistance to the main portrait).
    Miliatary Uniform IdentificationMiliatary Uniform IdentificationMiliatary Uniform Identification

Thank you!
    Jessica

?

Hi Jessica,
    First photo
    Cavalery captain, decorations (from the left): 1,2 Crosses of Valour (Cross of Valour (Poland) - Wikipedia)
    1- awarded 1941-1945 from the Second WW 2- from the War of Independence (awarded 1920/1923)
    3 General Bułak-Bałachowicz’s Army Cross of Valor
    On this forum: Polish Armed Forces - Second Republic (Siły Zbrojne II Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej) 1918-1939 Pre-war Badge thread #157
    Krzyż Waleczności Armii gen. Bułak-Bałachowicza – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia
    https://www.omsa.org/files/jomsa_arc...Vol13_7_10.pdf page 11
    second photo: officer of the Polish Armed Forces in the West (British uniform), on a motorcycle
    third photo: veteran (?) on a horse
    regards
    Kris

Thank you Sobedz! Using this to help with my family research; I really appreciate your help here!

?

Jessica,
    I made a mistake due to carelessness and the quality of the photo. The first decoration is really different. The ribbon colors in the photo are misleading, the middle stripe should be blue. I think it’s Silver Cross of War Order of Virtuti Militari. If you can give me your great-grandfather's name and surname, I can check it.
    Sorry for the mistake, regards
    Kris
    Virtuti Militari - Wikipedia
    Last edited by Sobedz; 04-20-2024 at 10:05 PM.

Hey, thanks for the follow up! I've thought of that award myself but I have not been able to find his name anywhere. His name in Poland was Henryk Neida (could be variations in his surname).

?

Jessica,
    It's possible that your great grandfather is in the uniform of the 8th Mounted Rifles Regiment, but I'm not sure. The colors are poorly recognizable. In Polish rank is rotmistrz (cavalery captain). Unfortunetly I can't find his surname (in any variations) on the list of cavaliers of The War Order of Virtuti Militari. I need the correct surname or the cross number.
    regards
    Kris