Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery medal

Article about: In response to Andrzejku98's query in the Polonia Restituta thread and the mystery medal on the ribbon bar, this is the medal and breast star that belonged to my grandfather that I've not be

Default Mystery medal

In response to Andrzejku98's query in the Polonia Restituta thread and the mystery medal on the ribbon bar, this is the medal and breast star that belonged to my grandfather that I've not been able to identify. I don't have the ribbon that goes with these. All I know is that it's Romanian and had to have been awarded between Dec '33 and Sept '39. Any ideas, anyone?

Mystery medal

Mystery medal

And below is the unidentified ribbon bar - it's the bottom left one, the blue and silver with the little rosette. I have no idea whether it matches this Romanian medal and breast star.

Mystery medal

Default Re: Mystery medal

Hi Reynard,

The Order is the Romanian Order of the Crown, the order had two types of ribbon 1st Type awarded between 1881-1932, Blue with 2 border stripes, 2nd Type had a Blue Ribbon with a central stripe.

So your Grandfathers award was made between 1932-1939, I would guess that the award was made in 1937 after the visit of King Carol II along with Prince Michael of Romania visited Poznan with Marshal Smigly Rydz on th 28th June 1937.

I have attached a photograph taken on the day your Grandfather can clearly be seen on the right of picture.

Mystery medal

Standing to the right of King Carol II.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Brilliant, Andrzejku! You're a star

The ribbon bar is indeed blue with a central silver stripe - easier to see when you look at the back rather than the front. So yes, it matches.

June 1937 would make perfect sense for the award date, as he was the provincial governor in Poznan at the time. Also, it makes sense from a condition point of view as the medal and star haven't been worn nearly as much as the others. My dad never said much about grandad - he always talked about grandmother's side of the family, so this is new to me. Slowly but surely, I'm starting to piece things together. You guys have been absolutely invaluable.

It's a lovely photo - thanks for sharing.

andrez.you are amazing.

Hi Reynard,

I came across this photograph from 1938 and the visit of General Broni Kazimierz Sosnkowski to Nowy Tomysl, along with General Sosnkowski was your Grandfather

Mystery medal

Best wishes

Andrzejku

p.s. Reynard if you double click the photo it will enlarge, so as to see your Grandfather .

What a super photo.

I do have one of General Sosnkowski's visiting cards, plus I think one if not more thank you cards from him adressed to grandad. They're in one of the albums I've been compiling - will scan and post, I think you deserve it. Can't thank you enough.

As promised... It's a visiting card with easter wishes written on it. Seems grandad knew him well.

Mystery medal

Hi Reynard,

I have been able to find out why General Sosnkowski was in Nowy Tomyslu in July 1938, he was made a Honourary Citizen, I was also able to find a few photographs with your Grandfather on. On one of them he is to the right of General Sosnkowski who is accepting flowers from a young girl.

Mystery medal

Mystery medal

Mystery medal

Mystery medal

Mystery medal

I hope that you like them.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Goodness me, yes, I like them. Can't believe how many rabbits you've pulled out of the hat on my behalf Andrzejku - I really owe you, if not several beers, then at least some nice chocolate...

The photos of grandad wearing his VM miniature on the lapel of his morning coat are lovely, especially since I actually have said miniature.