Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Is it needed - a forum within Polish Militaria for discussion?

Article about: Fellow members and guests of the Polish forums... Sometimes discussions develop in the threads that lead off topic or perhaps 'bog' down the thread in some way. Sometimes the mods need to re

Default Is it needed - a forum within Polish Militaria for discussion?

Fellow members and guests of the Polish forums...

Sometimes discussions develop in the threads that lead off topic or perhaps 'bog' down the thread in some way.

Sometimes the mods need to remind us to get back on track or suggest that the thread is not the place for discussion, especially when such discussions become polarized and passionate (though often such discussions add to the quality of the thread).

I have seen discussion forums on other sites and also within other Forums groups here on War Relics (History and Research forum within the German Militia 1939-1945 forums group for instance).

So...

Do we need a discussion forum within the Polish Militia Forums group for those that would like to further discuss and express opinions and exchange information outside of the threads that 'sparked' such discussions?

Is there an app here on War Relics to set up a survey in a thread? (this exists on CGN)

Thanks, Mike

I wholeheartedly agree "Open" discussion threads are often interesting for the very reasons you mention, but unfortunately they require also closer scrutiny by the moderators to ensure such threads do not degenerate into something more than a cordial exchange of views....then when mods step in to stop things spiraling out of control they are accused of heavy handed censorship of free speech etc, etc.

I am as opinionated as the next person if not more so when it comes to certain "controversial" aspects of Polish history of which I am extremely passionate about and I very much enjoy the friendly and heated exchange that often ensues when debating issues of interest....BUT these open discussion threads require more time to moderate and because they are more open to abuse they need more guidance rules in place so I am personally against such for those reasons.

However I would like to see a Polish history and research sub forum such as found in the other main WRF forums but within the same strict "militaria interest" framework.

Mike: Hope you don't mind but I deleted the duplicate of this thread.
    Last edited by StefanM; 08-13-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Duplicate post removed
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

That's fine, I only duplicated it in the other forums so that the question would get coverage in case it was missed in a forum not generally visited by some. If you think once is enough that's OK by me.

I certainly have no objections to a Polish history and research sub forum.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Chiming in now that the sun has risen here in the Western Hemisphere:

Agreed 100% with Stefan’s comments and especially the additional moderation demands of such a forum, and how such control is often perceived in a negative light. I don’t think I’m out of line by suggesting that the discussion of history and the inevitable encroachment into the political sphere does bring up strong emotions in any company, but it seems to be extra incendiary between Poles. Only speaking from experience fellows. I’d hate to see the amicable discourse here between likeminded individuals as far as the collecting hobby goes be negatively affected once personal views are aired, or members being put out by what may need to be strict moderation. Having said that, I am in favour of a Polish history and research sub forum as long we can effectively steer the discussion in the manner Stefan suggested. It’s certainly worth giving Mike’s idea a try.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne