Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Photo of an officer and his child - suspect Polish military, any further info greatly appreciated!

Article about: Good afternoon all, I help with tough genealogy projects and have a new one. I have a these 2 photos of a gentleman who was serving in Europe (my guess is Polish army) who wrote to a family

Default Photo of an officer and his child - suspect Polish military, any further info greatly appreciated!

Good afternoon all,

I help with tough genealogy projects and have a new one.

I have a these 2 photos of a gentleman who was serving in Europe (my guess is Polish military) who wrote to a family in the States, addressed to 'Cousin' who said his heritage had been found out and would the family please take in his son.

The family photo album was owned by a Jewish immigrant family, and family lore maintains that this gentleman married a non-Jew and was essentially cut off from the family from that point on.

If I had to hazard a guess, his name might be any number of things, the appellation of cousin points that it might have been Podhorcer/Podhorzer, Korpan, Bilkaminicer, Fischman/Fishman, Wagenheim, Goldstein, Chaitkin, Gold.

Any information about his insignia, rank would be Major (I think) and verification that I've gotten the Polish uniform identified correctly (Wz.27 1936-Sep1939) as well as medals (I cannot find the two below the pocket flap button hole (unsure of what this is actually called) with the standard cross-like shape with a straight out wing - mostly the wings are folded or arched that I've spotted.)

Middle (large head) in the midst of the salad bar, I'd guess is the 10 Years of Independence medal which implies good service from 18-28.

Far right Victory Angel perhaps

Left of (what I have so kindly named Big Head) might be the Polish medal for the War 1918–1921

Far left Polish Medal of Independence

Haven't yet found the wide bar hanging with a solider in a helmet (in between big head and angel) - I spoke too soon, French Commemorative Medal of the Great War has the wide bar and the alternating stripes. Would that have been common for a Polish officer to get a French medal?

I very much value your knowledge and appreciate so much your willingness to share it with those of us on a quest for new information.

Thank you again for the history you're helping restore.
    --dawn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photo of an officer and his child - suspect Polish military, any further info greatly appreciated!  
    Last edited by dawnlindsey; 05-06-2024 at 07:12 PM.

?

Hello dawnlindsey,
    Welcome on the forum.
    On the pocket, under the decorations, there are two commemorative regimental badges. The quality of the photo scan is poor, but I think the top badge is 4 pułk ułanów zaniemeńskich (4th Niemen Uhlan Regiment from Wilno/Vilnius), 4 Pułk Ułanow Zaniemeńskich – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia , English: 4th Niemen Uhlan Regiment - Wikipedia
    Below, I think, is the badge of 5 Dywizja Strzelców Polskich (Syberyjska) 5th Polish Rifle Division (Siberian) 5 Dywizja Strzelcow Polskich (WP na Wschodzie) – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia , English: 5th Rifle Division (Poland) - Wikipedia
    This badge matches two French medals. The Siberian Division belonged to the Polish Army in France commanded by general Józef Haller.
    The major in the photo doesn't look like a real line officer, maybe he was a medicine doctor? It’s just my private feeling.
    Regards
    Kris

?

Hello dawnlindsey,
    Decorations (from the left):
    Medal Niepodległości (Medal of Independence) Cross of Independence - Wikipedia
    Medal Pamiątkowy Za Wojnę 1918–1921 (Commemorative Medal for War 1918–1921) Medal Pamiątkowy za Wojnę 1918–1921 – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia
    Medal Dziesięciolecia Odzyskanej Niepodległości (Medal of the 10th Anniversary of Regained Independence) Medal Dziesięciolecia Odzyskanej Niepodległości – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia
    Medal Pamiątkowy Wielkiej Wojny (French: Médaille Commémorative Française de la Grande Guerre) 1914–1918 Commemorative war medal (France) - Wikipedia
    Medal Zwycięstwa or Medal Międzyaliancki (French: Médaille Interalliée, English: Allied Victory Medal) 1914–1918 Inter-Allied Victory medal - Wikipedia
    Regards
    Kris

Hi Sobedz (Kris),

Thank you so much for your time in looking at the image. I'm glad I was able to identify a few of the commendations. I definitely appreciate your knowledge on the others and the significance of which regiment he may have been in.

Truly thank you. If I ever find his name or more info, I'll share here too.

All my best,
    --dawn

?

Cool

Hello dawnlindsey,
    I think I found “your” major:

“...Leon Bardach. He was born on January 6, 1891, medical diploma. vet. obtained in Lwów (Lviv) in 1922. He was accepted into the Polish Army in 1921 as a captain from the former 5th Siberian Division. He served in the 12th Field Artillery Regiment, from where he joined the 10th Uhlan Regiment in 1922. The following year he served in the 8th Horse Artillery Division, also stationed in Białystok. From 1925 to 1939 he was a regimental physician. vet. in the 4th Uhlan Regiment in Vilnius. From 1931 in the rank of major. He took part in the September campaign.”
    https://www.izbawetbial.pl/files/B201402.pdf Biuletyn Weterynarii 2 (52) 2014.pub
    „11. BARDACH LEON
    He was born in 1891. He received a veterinary diploma from the Academy of Veterinary Medicine in Lwów (Lviv) in 1922. Right after graduation, he joined the 10th Lithuanian Lancers Regiment as a regimental veterinarian. In 1924, transferred to the 8th Horse Artillery Squadron. And the next year in the 4th Uhlan Regiment. In 1931, he was a professional officer with the rank of captain. In 1939, as a state veterinarian. He lived in Vilnius. After World War II, he did not submit to registration - item 26 on the List of veterinarians who failed to register. In the Directories of Veterinary Surgeons he is listed as having Polish nationality and being of Roman Catholic faith. The records of Yad Vashem in Jerusalem include the following entry: Bardach Leon born July 18, 1887 During World War II in Lviv - prisoner of the Lviv ghetto. He was probably murdered there.” (second one?)
    O wolność Polski. Lekarze zwierząt - Zginęli za Ojczyznę. Tom II - Włodzimierz Gibasiewicz — Ridero
    and here:
    Holocaust Survivors and Victims Database -- Leon BARDACH
    Photo of an officer and his child - suspect Polish military, any further info greatly appreciated!; Photo of an officer and his child - suspect Polish military, any further info greatly appreciated!
    There are a lot of inconsistencies. Share with us what else you’ll find.
    The best regards
    Kris

Holy cats, you're a superstar. Thank you for tracking this fellow down. Hopefully I can find him in some other records that might put him in his childhood around or with the family group. Will report back. Thanks Kris