Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pistol/Holster Identification

Article about: Would anyone be able to suggest what pistols might be used by these Polish officers based upon the size of the holsters? 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. In the photo of General Maczek I'm interested in the p

Default Pistol/Holster Identification

Would anyone be able to suggest what pistols might be used by these Polish officers based upon the size of the holsters?

1.Pistol/Holster Identification
    2.Pistol/Holster Identification
    3.Pistol/Holster Identification
    4.Pistol/Holster Identification
    5.Pistol/Holster Identification

In the photo of General Maczek I'm interested in the pistol/holster carried by his aide. It looks like it might be a holster for a FN Browning M1910 0r M1922. But what pistols might be in the smaller holsters, especially those carried by the officers in the ceremonial photos?

Thanks, Mike

Default Re: Pistol/Holster Identification

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...public-181504/

Isn't there an example like it in this long 'Sticky' thread you yourself have started? I would imagine the bigger holsters may contain a Radom pistol??
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Given the history of the Polish army and its diverse sources for weapons as well as the freedom for senior ranks to use whatever they wanted, could be anything from FN Baby Browning .25 cals to Phaser pistols in the 25-35 Watt range...

Ned - I know I have posted about holsters prior, I'm trying to narrow it down to what the small pistols might likely be.

It was stated in my previous thread that Polish officers preferred small pistols in caliber 6.35mm for ceremonial events. In York's book on the Radom VIS, he cites Polish sources indicating that the Wojsko Polskie had amongst other firearms, the Mauser Model 1910 and Beretta M1923 in inventory and produced instruction manuals for the FN Browning Models 1900, 1906, 1910 and 1922.

Given that in the photos #4 and #5 the holsters are quite small (and even in #2 - the holster is only twice or slightly more the belt width), and that these are definitely ceremonial occasions - in number #4 the fellow on the left is definitely an older gentleman probably of considerable rank; I'm thinking that perhaps these are 6.35mm caliber pistols or smaller 7.65mm pistols. Plus if you look closely at the holsters in #4 (left side and edge on in the middle) it appears that there is a magazine pouch stitched to the front of the holster. This reminds me of Mauser M1910/1914 holsters I have seen.

Also FN Browning did sell a number of Model 1906 pistols to the Imperial Russian military - this is also a small pistol in 6.35mm caliber (the aforementioned Baby Browning). Its possible that the Polish officers acquired some captured Model 1906s or purchased these privately along with commercial holsters .

In photo #5 given the size of the magazine base plate shown compared to the size of the holster, I'm thinking its a rather small pistol - FN Browning Model 1906 perhaps?

Re photo #1 I was referring to the holster worn by the aide with the beret - I believe it might be contain a FN Browning 1910/1922 given its size and shape. I believe the soldier wearing a M1916 helmet has a Radom VIS holster on his belt.

If anyone else has good clear photos of pistols used by Polish officers and NCOs in any time period for the 2nd Republic, please post. I'm trying to get information for a display I'm putting together. Thanks.

sarmatian
    ?

Quote by dastier View Post
    Ned - I know I have posted about holsters prior, I'm trying to narrow it down to what the small pistols might likely be.

It was stated in my previous thread that Polish officers preferred small pistols in caliber 6.35mm for ceremonial events. In York's book on the Radom VIS, he cites Polish sources indicating that the Wojsko Polskie had amongst other firearms, the Mauser Model 1910 and Beretta M1923 in inventory and produced instruction manuals for the FN Browning Models 1900, 1906, 1910 and 1922.
    /cut/
    If anyone else has good clear photos of pistols used by Polish officers and NCOs in any time period for the 2nd Republic, please post. I'm trying to get information for a display I'm putting together. Thanks.
    I know that this is old thread but I will write anyway.
    If officer served during WW1 or right after he may be issued one of the available arms (Austrian,German,Russian,French or Spanish) you may assume that there were one of everything available.
    Or surplus transfered by France (Lebel revolvers, Cebra pistols)
    Officers were obliged to purchase their own sidearm. For young officer right after promotion that was huge amount of money (esp for cavalry). 6.35 pistols were the cheapest one :-)
    and ... lightest one for everyday carry. In peace time, do you want to carry 1 kg on your belt? 6,35 were frowned as "cheating regulations" and some commanders did not allowed them.
    7,65 was most common calibre, later 9mm Luger. FN 1900,FN1910,FN1922, Cebra , Bayard (they were relatively cheap), Walther 7,65 or later VIS had much higher price.
    When NCO needed sidearm (for ceremonial situations for example) they were issued pistols from unit armoury. In some units it was Hungarian Frommer M1910 (as pistol wz. 1911)
    There is mentioned in one book situation where short NCO was issued Mauser 96 - wooden holster was hanging almost to the knee
    As far as I know, officers were required to be armed "always" so small "baby" pistol might be carried in civilian attire (if somebody decided that one pistol will be used in uniform ....)

Sarmatian,

Thank you for your contribution. The thread may be old but its never too late to learn more about the Wojsko Polskie and their accoutrements in the 2nd Republic era. Not much information in English.

I created a thread on 2nd Republic small arms in this forum. If you are inclined, please contribute to it. I am not too active right now in the Polish forums (or any other for that matter) due to recent health concerns. I am working on adding to the aforementioned thread once I finish doing more research and after acquiring some examples of foreign handguns used by the Wojsko Polskie (I am in the process of purchasing a Bayard 6.35 Modele Depose 1908, which is mentioned in York's Radom book on p.11 - I am aware that 7.65mm is the more correct caliber but you get what you can find). Research is slow as I don't read Polish and as previously mentioned there is a scarcity of information in English.