Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Polish Death Hussar's medal 1920 Pulku Huzaruw Smierci

Article about: Hello guys, I just joined to show this Pulku Huzaruw Smierci / Polish Death Hussar's medal and to ask for the humble opinions of the other members about potential authenticity and origin. I

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Lech,

Unlikely as the Hussars of Death was not a regiment, but rather an ad hoc assembly of several smaller units that as a unit was incorporated into two regiments at different times over the period of its existence.

We’ll need to assume that the Wabinski marked backing plate is original to the badge. As you know, backing plates like this are unusual for ‘pocket’ badges, and are more commonly found with hat eagle badges. Also, Wabinski was not a maker but rather a retailer who obtained his wares from various domestic and foreign sources to sell to customers out of his Warsaw based shop in the Hotel Europejski . But they were well made quality items, such as your badge. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for more information.

Cheers,
    T.
    Interesting. I know little on the topic, I presumed it was a regiment because of the award certificate bearing the words Pułku Huzarów Śmierci. Do you know of any photos of soldiers wearing the original decoration?

Correct, it is an assumption, a safe one in my opinion considering the associated toning on the back of the badge. That is true, but this badge is indeed unusual. Thanks for letting me know, I was aware of his shop being located in the Hotel Europejski but was under the impression that Wincenty Wabinski-Wabia was a jeweler and maker, not simply a retailer / reseller. Thanks again for your helpful information, and for keeping your eyes open.

Best regards,

Lech

Hi Lech, sharp eye. I did not notice the certificate stating Pułku Huzarów Śmierci. Interesting as this unit was never a regiment in the technical sense of the word as it applies to Polish army organization. Perhaps “pułk” in the Polish vernacular has a wider application. I have no other explanation.

I vaguely recall seeing a period photo of this badge in wear. Will need to check and get back to you.

I don’t know if Wincenty Wabia-Wabinski was an actual trained jeweler, but we do know that he farmed out manufacture of his military badges and decorations, both domestically and also from France. He was an interesting character, having run afoul of the law due to shady business practices before the war, and then seeing an untimely end either late war or early after. Some of his troubles are covered in a period newspaper article posted elsewhere on this forum.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Lech, sharp eye. I did not notice the certificate stating Pułku Huzarów Śmierci. Interesting as this unit was never a regiment in the technical sense of the word as it applies to Polish army organization. Perhaps “pułk” in the Polish vernacular has a wider application. I have no other explanation.

I vaguely recall seeing a period photo of this badge in wear. Will need to check and get back to you.

I don’t know if Wincenty Wabia-Wabinski was an actual trained jeweler, but we do know that he farmed out manufacture of his military badges and decorations, both domestically and also from France. He was an interesting character, having run afoul of the law due to shady business practices before the war, and then seeing an untimely end either late war or early after. Some of his troubles are covered in a period newspaper article posted elsewhere on this forum.

Regards,
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

From a historian's perspective, it is indeed most important to examine primary source documents. The only primary source document associated with this badge (of which I am aware) is the original award certificate. The primary source document, short and succinct as it is, doesn't show us too much other than a likeness drawing of an original badge and a single sentence of text, bearing the hand inscribed name of the Hussar who through combat earned the award titled "Pułku Huzarów Śmierci".
    When comparing in detail the likeness drawing on the award document, one can see that it closely resembles the badge that I own, and bears little likeness to other purported originals.
    I don't know anything about this unit in the technical sense as you say, if you could share your sources I would appreciate it.
    It would be great to see a period photo of an original badge in wear!

Thanks for sharing the interesting info about Wabinski, poor fella.

Best regards,

Lech

?

Greetings!

Here are some pictures of the medal along with the catalog from which it was purchased, Manion's auction in the mid 1990s. Please see their description and photo of the badge. I also used a L'Annee 1920 book as a backdrop for some of the photos. Any and all input is appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Death Hussar's medal 1920 Pulku Huzaruw Smierci   Polish Death Hussar's medal 1920 Pulku Huzaruw Smierci  

Polish Death Hussar's medal 1920 Pulku Huzaruw Smierci   Polish Death Hussar's medal 1920 Pulku Huzaruw Smierci  

Polish Death Hussar's medal 1920 Pulku Huzaruw Smierci   Polish Death Hussar's medal 1920 Pulku Huzaruw Smierci  

Polish Death Hussar's medal 1920 Pulku Huzaruw Smierci  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2