Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Radom VIS 35 question

Article about: I have a three lever VIS 35 that I have owned for many years. It does carry the proper German Waffenamt markings. It is a beautiful weapon that I enjoy shooting occasionally. Had it out toda

Default Polish Radom VIS 35 question

I have a three lever VIS 35 that I have owned for many years. It does carry the proper German Waffenamt markings. It is a beautiful weapon that I enjoy shooting occasionally. Had it out today and there was a problem that I just can't figure out.

The hammer drop safety works fine when the chamber is empty, however it will not engage and drop the hammer when a round is in the chamber. I have not fired it for quite some time, however it has always been meticulously cleaned after each outing, so it is not dirty. I have tried several brands of ammo and still the hammer drop feature will not work on a loaded chamber.

I seem to recall that I was able to lower the hammer safely on a loaded round, but now am not sure because it has been so long since I last fired the weapon.

Is the hammer drop designed to work on a loaded chamber? If so, any ideas as to why it will not work?

Thank you!

Your question is a good one, and I’d like to be able to answer from experience, although similarly it’s been years since I had either of my Vis pistols to the range. Truth be told, my three lever is a pre-WW2 “Eagle”, and I’ve only had it at the range once.

Your question might be best posted in the World Firearms section of the forum (https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-firearms/) and even outside this forum one of the many firearm discussion boards on the web.

In the interim, I’ll strive to check my reference books on this pistol and will post whatever I find.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

From an article I found;
    While many other features on the eight-shot 9mm Parabellum Polish auto were similar to those of its antecedents (grip safety, takedown latch and slide stop), one curious feature was the absence of a manual safety catch. There was, however, a lever on the left rear of the slide that permitted the firing pin to be withdrawn and the hammer to be safely dropped on a loaded chamber. Manually cocking the gun allowed the pin to revert to its original position.

Read more: The Vis 35 Radom: Poland's Pistol - Guns & Ammo