Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish wings

Article about: Hi there guys This is my first post to the Forum and I hope I have selected the correct area. I have a question on Polish Pilot wings fro 1919 to 1945. My understanding was that the first pi

Default Polish wings

Hi there guys
    This is my first post to the Forum and I hope I have selected the correct area. I have a question on Polish Pilot wings fro 1919 to 1945. My understanding was that the first pilot wings were silver with a silver wreath in 1919. Some books then talk about a class system for wings in 1933. First class Pilot now had a gold wreath but I am not too sure about the second class pilot. I have seen that the second class pilot has just an eagle without wreath but this badge disappeared in 1939. Also I have seen mention that the eagle badge with gold wreath was for Aces (5 kills) - is this the same as a first class pilot? After the eagle w/o wreath disappeared in 1939, did the second class pilot use the silver eagle with silver wreath or did the class system fade out when the Pilots went across to England?Polish wingsPolish wingsPolish wings
    Not sure if the photos came through - will close now and see what happens and may have to send again.
    Kind regards

Doug

?

I recently have read biography book on Polish pilot Pawel Niemiec. In one of the chapters there was mention of pilot wings and classes before WW2.
    Badge without wreath was awarded to the 3rd class pilot. Badge with wreath was awarded to 2nd class pilot, after 5 years of blameless service. Gold wreath was added to 1st class pilot. Green wreath was awarded for combat missions.
    All above applied to pilots, navigators, observers or air gunners.