Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Default re: Virtuti Militari Thread

Quote by robert odulinski View Post
    Hi Tony beautiful cross, can you tell me what the dye stamp mark is i cant make it out from the picture.
    Hi Robert,

Thank you for your comment, and my apologies for overlooking your question. The Jan Knedler VM’s are one of my favorite of the privately made issues. The maker’s mark is “I K”, which is consistent on all Knedler silver crosses and badges that I have seen. I have no idea why the “I” is not a “J”, which would of course make more sense.

It is a thick and heavy cross. Attractive design elements such as the distinctive eagle (copied by Panasiuk), split wreath and the larger ball ends coupled with Knedler’s reputation for exceptional quality all result in a winning combination.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Not a VM medal, but I thought I would add this to the thread. Any info about the recipient would be appreciated.

Also, any pre-war engraver copies for sale out there?

Cheers,

B
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread  

Very nice document Brandon

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

I do not have pplk Boleslaw Schwarzenberg-Czerny Virtuti Militari cross, it was most likely with him when he got executed in Charkow in 1940. His was # 4890 he got it as a Captain of 9PP Legionow in 1922. He was made a general in 1997. I have his ring and one picture, he is one wearing a hat with a feather in it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hi Itakdalej,

Very nice ring. Thanks for the added bio and photo. You are fortunate to have these in your collection. Is it possible to see more pictures of the ring including some showing the engraved dedication? Do you know if the case original to the ring?

Regards,
    Tony

No the box is not original to the ring, only a prop. I have some hi-res pictures and i will gladly send them to You, just send me your email. I am reluctant to post some of the rarer items hi-res pictures on the forum for it shows the countefitters how these things were constucted, engraved, etc. Of some of the more common badges i have no problem posting pictures for these are readily accessible anyway.
    Last edited by Krakow1; 03-22-2014 at 04:48 PM.

because I am rather light on relevant literature, do we know the maker of this VM5 ? the hallmark indicates a timescale bracket 1920-1947, is 875 silver and of Warsaw origin. I assume the SO mark indicates manufacturer/jeweller.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hello PZ,

I assure you, we are all light on relevant literature for the Virtuti Militari! “S.O.” is attributed to Stanisław Owczarski, maker of VM’s, the Order of Poland Restored (Polonia Restituta) and others. His products are typically of a high quality, as is visible with this fine example of his craftsmanship. Do you own this cross?

Regards,
    Tony

hello Tony, thank you for the information on the maker. Indeed, in my humble opinion it is a handsome piece. Apparently though, in some quarters it is not regarded as a desirable sort, being a non-Government issue example, ie: sans number and therefore unprovenanced. Not withstanding that, coming out of the woodwork here in the UK, it is what it is and I am quite happy to own this charismatic award, TTFN

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    . . . in some quarters it is not regarded as a desirable sort, being a non-Government issue example, ie: sans number and therefore unprovenanced. . . .
    Those quarters would be the ones bluffing you while envious that you own it. True, it is technically a 'replacement copy'. But being pre-WW2 vintage, high quality hallmarked silver and in top condition makes it a very desirable cross that is welcome in any serious collection. It’s a beauty – thanks for sharing.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast