Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

ccj
    ?

Default re: Virtuti Militari Thread

wonderful

Hi Tony,

Suchitz does list them at the back of his book, but like yourself I did a quick internet search and found the following information:

General Bryg. Ottokar Brzoza-Brzezina was only awarded the Silver Cross (information also found in Generalowie Polski Niepodleglej by Kryska-Karski & Zurakowski)

Plk.Adam Epler was awarded the Knights, Gold & Silver Crosses.

Plk.art. Aleksander Hertel (unfortunately could find no information)

Plk.Stefan Kossecki was only awarded the Gold and Silver Crosses

General Bryg. Stanislaw Grzmot-Skotnicki was only awarded the Gold and Silver Crosses

General Bryg. Ludwik Kmicic-Skrzynski was only awarded the Silver Cross

General Bryg. Zygmunt Podhorski was only awarded the Gold and Silver Crosses

Plk.Dypl.art.Mikolaj Grezgorz Lapicki was only awarded the Gold and Silver Crosses

It would seem from Dr.Suchcitz's book which lists them all as being awarded the Knights Cross the majority of the list are listed as sp. (Dead) which would point to them being awarded after they died so in the 1970's.

Which is a puzzle

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    . . . It would seem from Dr.Suchcitz's book which lists them all as being awarded the Knights Cross the majority of the list are listed as sp. (Dead) which would point to them being awarded after they died so in the 1970's.

Which is a puzzle
    Yes, it certainly is. I’ll add this one to the long list of questions to take along if I ever make it to visit the PISM. In the meantime hopefully someone will chime in with any information about when exactly these officers were awarded their Knight’s crosses.

Andrzejku, many thanks again for your help.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Gents,
    Could you shed more light on this 3rd Class Virtuti Militari Order. What era is it from, possible manufacturer?
    Thanks,
    Simon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hi Simon,

Definitely not pre-war, and I somehow doubt exiled government issue. It has a lot of similarities to the current IIIRP 4th and 5th Class crosses, so very well may be a modern issue. Not the era I collect nor have much knowledge of, although I do have the 5th class cross below, supposedly the current official issue.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Thanks Tony. You have confirmed my presumptions

Virtuti Militari ThreadHere is my latest find:
    VM # 2632 awarded to Count Lt Janusz Ilinski for Battle of Komarow in 1920. Lt Ilinski was a Chief Of Staff of the VI Cavalry Brigade under Col Plisowski. Battle of Komarow was at that time biggest Cavalry Battle sine 1813. It was against russian 1st Cavalry Army who at the time was numerically superior. Two Red Comissars of the 1st Cavalry Army were : Joseph Stalin and K. Voroshilow, and they did a terrible job of controlling the men after they lost the Battle.
    Virtuti Militari ThreadAttachment 403233
    Battle, robbery, rape and murder become common as they retreated.
    Last edited by Krakow1; 05-24-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Virtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadLater Count Ilinski went to France to attend the Ecole Superrieure De Guerre (War College) and as of one of 53 Polish Officers had finished it.
    Was later awarded Legion D'Honneur by French Government. Later he becomes a Military Attache in France. I had found this documents:
    First one is stamped Secret and it is from Maj Ilinski who was at the time the Military and Marine Attache in France: he is forwarding documents asking for a 4 month Health Leave for General Sikorski.
    Second one is General Sikorski writting a letter to get Health leave, and next in French is a doctors opinion as to why the General should get a 4 month leave.

Virtuti Militari ThreadVirtuti Militari ThreadHe was at Narvik as a Lt Colonel of the Polish Highlander Brigade and as one of 12 Polish Soldiers awarded the Norwegian War Cross, his was number 102.
    After the War he came to New York and managed some apartment buildings and later Hotel Carlislie.
    He died in Paris in 1961.
    Here are some pre-War and post War pictures unfortunately not in uniform.
    Picture on the left is from May 1939 New York World Expo, he is the third from the right, second picture is December 1 1947 New York and was published in Time Magazine, caption says he is a apartment Manager.

Hi Tom, congratulatons on a superb acquisition. Thanks for posting and especially for adding the background historical details. Great stuff

Regards,
    Tony

Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast