Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Virtuti Militari

Article about: I need some help with a VIRTUTI MILITARI cross. Is this VM original? If it is, who was the maker?

Default Virtuti Militari

I need some help with a VIRTUTI MILITARI cross. Is this VM original? If it is, who was the maker?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti  Militari  

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Virtuti Militari

Looks original in my opinion, not sure about the maker though
    Last edited by 3mk; 10-16-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Default Re: Virtuti Militari

Hello feniks302,

This is a pre-war Krupski & Matulewicz pattern. The cross appears genuine, although suspended from a replacement ribbon. The firm of Krupski & Matulewicz produced the serial numbered 'government issue' crosses. This, of course, is not one of those issues. The Krupski & Matulewicz dies were supposedly used by other makers, such as the example posted below bearing the WG mark of the well known Wiktor Gontarczyk camp. This cross does appear very much to be a Krupski & Matulewicz pattern. Unfortunately, very little information has survived about the admittedly strange practice of die swapping, if it did indeed occur.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti  Militari   Virtuti  Militari  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne