Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Polish Soldiers Records

Article about: Hello, I need your help. My Polish grandfather fought in WW1, I have his full name, date and place of birth, he was born in Tarnopol; I am trying to find under which unit he fought, his loca

Default WW1 Polish Soldiers Records

Hello, I need your help. My Polish grandfather fought in WW1, I have his full name, date and place of birth, he was born in Tarnopol; I am trying to find under which unit he fought, his location, etc . I know he was injured during a battle and was in a hospital in Hungary (his war booklet says that). Unfortunately I do not speak Polish. Where should I go to find his military records? Any help would me much appreciated. Best Regards

Your search for information will be hindered by not knowing how to read Polish. But all hope is not lost. The higher his rank, the better the likelihood of finding something. You might want to try posting your question on the Polish Central Military Archives facebook page and see if an English speaking person replies. It’s worth a shot. Best wishes:

Security Check Required

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Many thanks for your help Tony! Another question, I have my grandfather’s military booklet, where could I go to have it translated? Would love to know where did he fight, etc.

Post pictures of it.

Default WW1 Polish Soldiers Records

Many thanks Krakow1, here are the photos
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 Polish Soldiers Records  WW1 Polish Soldiers Records  WW1 Polish Soldiers Records  WW1 Polish Soldiers Records  WW1 Polish Soldiers Records 

The bottom right page says that He was wounded in right leg and spent time in Hospital In Budapest, (at the time Austro Hungary) in 1915.
    I am slowly deciphering the rest....

Really appreciate all your help Krakow1!

Page 3 says : that He took part in WW1 and later 1919 He fought on Russian front and was taken POW.

Many thanks Krakow1,
    The words in red mean he was a POW? Does it say where was he a prisoner?
    Best regards,

It does not say where He was a POW, but in the Legitymacja it says that He was on russian front 1919-1920 and also gives same date for him being POW, so most likely a prisoner of communist or bolsheviks. When did He emigrate to USA ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast