Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Wz.36 Polish officers tunic with interesting tailors label "Hieronim Wisniewski" - 100% original pre-war ?

Article about: Hello, Is the tunic itself (apart from the replaced collar tabs, and maybe the tailors label) 100% original pre-war, please ? As I was thinking about undertaking a restoration project. The s

Default Wz.36 Polish officers tunic with interesting tailors label "Hieronim Wisniewski, Warszawa, Wilcza 60" - 100% original pre-war ?

Hello,

Is the tunic itself (apart from the replaced collar tabs, and maybe the tailors label) 100% original pre-war, please ?

As I was thinking about undertaking a restoration project.

The seller said that the tunic belonged to one of General Sikorski's protection officers, but this could be only a rumour without proof to back it up.

Interestingly the partly lined pockets and lining seem to exactly or nearly exactly match CCJ's Wz.36 officer's tunic which is definately pre-war tailor produced.

Also, it has striped lined sleeves lining, which was widely used in pre-war tailors (i have come across it in about every pre-war tailored officers uniforms from all combatant nations/countries, which is also part of my collection) and could have been discontinued after the war.

I talked to Tony about it and he said that the collar tabs were post-war or reproduction replacements and that the tailors label could be a recently produced reproduction based on the more modern looking type font of the letters, that it looked suspicious because of its freshness/condition after all these years.

Also, that tailors labels are easily reproduced with modern technology.

I also looked up some information on the tailor Hieronim Wisniewski.

The tailors label says -

"TEL 7.04.83
    HIERONIM WIŚNIEWSKI
    WARSZAWA WILCZA 60"

I have done some research of the pre-war Polish Warsaw telephone directories and found that he was a tailor in Warsaw between 1930's -1940 (1937/1938 Warsaw telephone directory, 1938 Warsaw (city + suburbs) telephone directory + (small) trade directory)

http://mbc.cyfrowemazowsze.pl/Conten...om=75&page=385 (unfortunately not working now)
    From the General Collections
    Genealogy Indexer - 1939/1940 Warsaw (City + Suburbs) Telephone Directory + (Small) Trade Directory - image 467

In 1942 he disappears from the records, I think the reason for this was he was taken to Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp (in the newly constructed Gusen I satellite camp operational in May 1940) in Austria.

A HIERONIM WIŚNIEWSKI is on the list of the dead (I think that this coupled with his disappearance from the telephone directories in 1942 proves that this is him) -

Mauthausen Memorial

It is an extremely tragic story, but hopefully it proves that this tunic could not be produced after 1939 (if the tailors label is genuine and not put in at a later date).

Please tell me your opinions as soon as possible, please.

Thank you very much for your time and effort, in advance.

justin1939
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wz.36 Polish officers tunic with interesting tailors label "Hieronim Wisniewski"  - 100% original pre-war ?   Wz.36 Polish officers tunic with interesting tailors label "Hieronim Wisniewski"  - 100% original pre-war ?  

Wz.36 Polish officers tunic with interesting tailors label "Hieronim Wisniewski"  - 100% original pre-war ?   Wz.36 Polish officers tunic with interesting tailors label "Hieronim Wisniewski"  - 100% original pre-war ?  

Wz.36 Polish officers tunic with interesting tailors label "Hieronim Wisniewski"  - 100% original pre-war ?   Wz.36 Polish officers tunic with interesting tailors label "Hieronim Wisniewski"  - 100% original pre-war ?  

Wz.36 Polish officers tunic with interesting tailors label "Hieronim Wisniewski"  - 100% original pre-war ?  
    Last edited by justin1939; 06-12-2013 at 04:31 PM.

barbara
    ?

Hello!
    I'm stumbling on this post by chance. I'm granddaughter of Hieronim Wiśniewski. My grandfather died in 1954, as I know after surgery. I was told that during WW2 supposedly he sewed uniforms for German Wermacht officers, but maybe this is legend. After the war he was continued work as a normal tailor and the same: I was told he was a very good tailor. Your post is very touching to me, but unfortunately, I can not help you verify the tunic, because nothing was left after my grandfather.