Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

4 Pułk Pancerny "Skorpion" - my first set of Polish awards.

Article about: Hi All My name is Michal and I am mostly german ww2 panzer and panergrenadiere items collector. In march this year I have an oportunity to be at Monte Cassino with an Monte Cassino Fundation

Default 4 Pułk Pancerny "Skorpion" - my first set of Polish awards.

Hi All

My name is Michal and I am mostly german ww2 panzer and panergrenadiere items collector.
    In march this year I have an oportunity to be at Monte Cassino with an Monte Cassino Fundation (Fundacja Andrzej Marzec "Monte Cassino" > montecassino.org.pl)
    It was an oportunity to make some work close to Polish cementery, changing the polish flags on monuments etc. For me it was a first trip to Monte Cassino.

And...

It was a very emotional trip. Specially when I visit Sultan monument...

The tank is like a time machine. I saw it and fell like to have a time travel. It is standing in the right place where it was destroyed.
    We also want to check that the eagle is still on the place. It was restored in 2017 by my friends from "Friends Association of Panzer Museum in Poznan Club" (I dont know that I made a good translation - in polish it is "Kolo Przyjaciol Muzeum Broni Pancernej w Poznaniu")

That was the moment, when I decided to try to find some polish items conected to Cassino Battle. I was thinking about amr patches, maybe Cassino Cross, but I never thought in my mind that I will have a chance to buy a set from 4 panzer regiment solider.

I saw one pictures posted by James, talk to him, and I am a new owner of this beautifull set of badges, awards and documents.

I am also looking for an information of BOLESLAW SZAJNA.
    In other topic I found an info:

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 29542 when awarded the Recipients details were as follows :

Surname : SZAJNA

Christian Name : Boleslaw

Date of Birth : 1913

Army Number : 1913-126-III

Unit : P4Panc. (1st Squadron, ended the war as a Kapral with KW BKZzM) after the end of the war he came to the UK and settled in Yorkshire, in 1954 he married Maud Armitage in Upper Agbrigg, Yorkshire and Died in Huddersfield in 1994.

I am looking an info about tanks from 1st Squadron. Maybe his tank was named? Any photos of tanks from 1st Squadron.
    I am also a modeler, and I want to make a model of his vehicle.

Ps.
    I have a lot of photos from my trip to Monte Cassino, If You are interested I can post them in an other topic or put on an internet disc.

Between awards was also this little skorpion. It is very simmilar to the one wich is applied on regiment badge. Size is 2.5cm long
    Do You know something about it? It looks exactly like the one from badge. Could it be aplied to beret ?

?

bye, congratulations. beautiful set, very important and rare to find complete !!

It’s great to see that this very complete grouping has ended up in good hands. Congratulations. Not to be a spoilsport, but the only negative I see is that he Cross of Valour award legitymacja is missing.

As far as the small scorpion, it’s on the small side for a beret badge. It almost appears like a scorpion from the collar pennons. Some of the pennons were multi-part construction, and I am wondering is this isn’t from a pennon that has come apart - ??

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    As far as the small scorpion, it’s on the small side for a beret badge. It almost appears like a scorpion from the collar pennons. Some of the pennons were multi-part construction, and I am wondering is this isn’t from a pennon that has come apart - ??

Regards,
    Tony
    Hello
    The small scorpion is the same size and details as sorpion from regimwnt badge. It is not from collar pennons because it is screwback and scorpions from collar pennons was mounted by two pins as I remember.

Yes, there is missing legitymacja of KW, and also 2 warsaw division badge.

You can see there is a driver bdge 2 klass with blue material. In "Waleczne Skorpiony" book is confirmation that Bolesław Szajna received this badge in 2nd class variant. That was nice suprice for me and it is another confirmation that set is genue.

I noticed also that on paper document is a non-ink scorpion stamp. On drivers licence and regiment badge doc. It is something unusual ?
    take a look in upper left corner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4 Pułk Pancerny "Skorpion" - my first set of Polish awards.  

Today from one member of Facebook group I received two photos, probably with Bolesław Szajna.
    Take a look - I made some compare with Drivers licence photo.

On photo with Sherman tank he is standing on the ground first from the right.

Welcome.
    Yesterday I visited the family of Czesław Ząbek. Owner of the MC cross number 29642.
    I met his son Tomasz. Let me remind you that I owned the cross of Czesław Ząbek number 29642 with the documents of Bolesław Szajna, who should have a cross number 29542. In the documents of Czesław Ząbek there was a cross with the number 29641 - also not correct.

Mr. Tomasz showed me beautiful photos, documents and decorations of his father. The most interesting souvenir is the father's uniform. All these objects, after returning to Poland in 1947, were buried underground. It was done, fearing repression from the communists. They were recovered from the ground just before the death of Czesław Ząbek, which took place in 1969. There was also a beret, but it buried together with the body of the Dead Czesław Ząbek.

From the photos we know that Czesław Ząbek was riding in the 1st squadron with the Sherman tank "Topór".
    Twice his tank was destroyed. He was awarded the 5th class Virtutti Military order for saving his commander's life.
    After a shot in the tower, his tank was in flames. Two crew members were killed on the spot.
    Czesław Ząbek, after getting out of the vehicle, returned to it and got his commander out of the tower.

I exchanged the MC Cross number 29642 for 29641. It is still not the cross of Bolesław Szajna (no. 29542) wich I am looking for.
    I will continue my research. Maybe I can clean up this mess that happened 74 years ago ...

kapral Czesław Ząbek

Czesław Ząbek (middle) and his Sherman "Topór"

Czesław Ząbek )first from the right) and his tank "Topór"

Czesław Ząbek son. Tomasz presenting his father uniform

Czesław Ząbek MC cross after 74 years in complete with MC cross document.

VIRTUTI MILITARI DOCUMENT

welcome everyone! would like to hear the opinion of colleagues - original or not? The sign is from the ground and was found without the scorpion. The rivets in the photo are a restoration. If it is the original, then it may be possible to find out who the gentleman of this sign is
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4 Pułk Pancerny "Skorpion" - my first set of Polish awards.   4 Pułk Pancerny "Skorpion" - my first set of Polish awards.  

Hi Ilya, that appears to be a genuine Picchiani & Barlacchi made component. I am away from home (and my award list) so will have to get back to you with the name of the original owner.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne