Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?

Article about: Gentlemen This is for sale on ebay. What do you make of it? Are they 15th Lancers collar patches? Sorry not the greatest of photographs but I don't think I like it - have there been later ad

Question Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?

Gentlemen

This is for sale on ebay. What do you make of it? Are they 15th Lancers collar patches? Sorry not the greatest of photographs but I don't think I like it - have there been later additions. Do the rank stars look odd? and the collar patches......

Many thanks

James
    Attached Images Attached Images Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?  Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?  Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?  Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?  Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?  Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?  Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?  Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?  Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one? 

Default Re: Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?

A U.S. "Ike" jacket with British and Polish insignia? Not seen that before. Doesn't make it wrong, just unusual. Must admit though my area is more PAF than army.

ian
    ?

please forgive my ignorance ,,but i was led to believe that the polish free army used british battle dress ??
    someone enlighten me please
    cheers ian

Ian, you’re correct. British uniform regulations definitely applied to the Polish Armed Forces in the West during wartime. Things were relaxed somewhat after cessation of hostilities. The gradual demobilization process of the Polish forces took about three years during which time some Poles took a liking to the US Ikes to use for their walking out uniform as a substitute for the less refined British battledress.

Having said that, I am not entirely enthralled with this one. The insignia is genuine, and the base uniform looks OK as well, but maybe it’s the stories I’ve heard about surplus Ike’s being badged up as Polish uniforms in a back room Chicago sweat shop a decade or two ago that has put me off.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

ian
    ?

thanks Tony
    good answer , clear and easy to understand ,thanks mate
    cheers ian

Thanks Gentlemen, I won't be bidding for this one as too many "ifs" for my liking. The badges look good but I just wasn't sure about the combination with the jacket. Many thanks for all of the comments. All the best

ian
    ?

Jamest8 you are welcome sir
    i wish i my self could have been of more help , some times though asking the right question is only the best anyone can do
    take care cheers ian

Hi guys,
    the fact that this is an Ike jacket doesn't mean this is a fake. I've seen an original Ike jacket used by a 3 DSK chaplain so there's a chance you may find US-made uniforms with Polish insignia. Take notice that in both cases uniforms were worn by officers. It's not a secret that Allied soldiers preferred American wool fabric to the British. As officers they were able to get those uniforms somehow what they apparently did. There's another explanation though this might be a uniform bought by a vet to be worn on various anniversaries and meetings. I've seen many photos of PSZ vets in the USA and they sometimes wore BD-looking alike Ike jackets with Polish badges. This manner might have occurred in the UK too, were according to eBay the uniform is located, however not as often as in the USA for sure.
    Of course this might be a fake but unfortunately I can't tell if it's the real McCoy or a fake uniform whatsoever.

Regards,
    Tom.

?

Some years ago I had a one that looked exactly the same, with 15PU pennons just like this one. I always thought it was a vet post war reunion type thing, and got rid of it, but just recently came across this photo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battledress 15 Lancers - what do you make of this one?  

Hi Tom,

You’ve misunderstood. We are not questioning its authenticity solely on the basis of it being an Ike. As I explained, some Poles preferred the US Field Jackets to the British BD, and obtained them instead. So there’s no problems there. I am uneasy with this one for other reasons.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast