Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

citation for Virtuti Militari

Article about: where can I find the citation for VM for Kazimierz Kondoł? 18th battalion 5KDP. Died Aug 1944.

Default citation for Virtuti Militari

where can I find the citation for VM for Kazimierz Kondoł? 18th battalion 5KDP. Died Aug 1944.

Hello Elzunia GO,

With regards to the Virtuti Militari Legitymacja awarded to : Plut.sp. Kazimierz Kondoł Numbered 12093.

The only place that I know that has the Recommendations is the PISM in London, the records where held by the Chapter of the Order which where deposited with the Polish Government in Exile in London and then after Poland regained her Independence in 1989 they where given to the PISM. (Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum)

Unfortunately the Institute is closed at the moment, when it will re-open ?

If you wished to travel to view any records then you would need to book a seat in the Reading Room, the only other alternative is to pay £25.00p for up to 2 Hours of Research and await the results which could take up to or over 6 months.

I will leave that decision up to yourself, sorry that I can not be of further assistance, please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Default citation for Virtuti Militari

OK, I was hoping for a short-cut.
    I have been to Pism before and copied documents. I usually get to London twice a year but with the pandemic - who knows???

I have a book which includes such citations but unfortunately, not Kondol's. However, it includes a short but amusing reference to Kazimierz Kondołcitation for Virtuti Militaricitation for Virtuti Militari

deleted post
    Last edited by Elzunia GO; 06-11-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Hello, I am looking for the citation for my grandad getting the Virtuti Militari, he was Lieutenant Leonidas Kulbickiin 5th Vilnius Light Artillery Regiment. Elzunia GO is he referenced in your book? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you. Louise

no Louise, unfortunately not listed. there are 135 biograms in the book, mostly from UK and abroad (ie none living in Poland) at the time 1996. you would probably have to contact Sikorski institute to find it. good luck.
    Elzunia

Hello Louise,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum your Grandfather Porucznik (Lieutenant) Leonidas Kulbicki was awarded the Virtuti Militari Legitymacja Numbered : 10899, if you require a copy of the Recommendation no doubt the Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum in London will have a copy hopefully.

You can do one of two things pay them £25.00p for 2 hours research by them which could take up to six months or so to get a reply, or book a seat in the reading room and look through the files of the recommendations that they have for the 2nd Polish Corps.

They are quite a lot of files to go through, so I will leave it up to you to decide which way you wish to continue.

Once again Welcome Louise

Best wishers

Andrzej

Hello Louise,

I have been able to dig out a photograph of your Grandfather taken after he joined the Anders Army in 1941 :

Podporucznik (2nd Lieutenant) Leonidas Kulbicki

Born on the 6th February 1901

His Fathers Name was : Mikołaj

Your Grandfather is listed in the Reserve Officers Yearbook of 1934 on pages : 152, 631.

19PAL Reserve Officers notice that your Grandfathers Christian Name is noted as Leonid

Your Grandfather was Promoted to Podporucznik (2nd Lieutenant) on the 1st January 1932 and was 516th in Seniority out of 768. at that time he was living in Lida.

During the Italian Campaign of 1943-1945 your Grandfathers Service Number (which can also be found on His ID Tags) : 1901-277-III, he was in command of the 1st Battery of Artillery of the 5PAL and was awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 20689.

Louise I also found out that your Grandfather died in 1975 in Northampton.

That is all that I was able to find for you Louise, I sincerely hope that it is of some use and help to you and your family,

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click on the photographs to enlarge in a new window, unfortunately the photograph of you grandfather will not enlarge.

Louise I was also able to find the following which also listed your Grandfather as Leonid

It shows that your Grandfather crossed over the Lithuanian Border on the 22nd September 1939 in an hope to not fall into the hands of the soviets, he probably thought that they would let them pass safely onto France to rejoin the Polish Army there.

But soon after the soviets took over the Baltic States and your Grandfather was sent to russia to a prisoner of war camp, he was one of the lucky ones to be spared the fate of their fellow officers at Katyn, Charkov and Mednoje.

He was sent to the Camp at Kozielski then onto the camp at Griazowiec then after the germans invaded the soviet union he was released and made his way to Tatiszczewo to join the Polish Army also known as the Anders Army on the 3rd September 1941.

Once more Best wishes Louise

Andrzej

Thank you andrzejku98 and Elzunia GO for this information and advice, andrzejku98 you have got some fascinating information here, thank you so much! I never met my grandad but he did raise my Dad in England, but he died when my Dad was young and never spoke about the war, so we are just finding this out for the first time. We have photos of him and a set of war medals, but we do not know the stories behind them. I will contact the Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum. Thank you for your help. Louise

Hello Louise,

Many thanks for your reply, I can assume that your Grandfathers Medals consisted of the following :

Order Wojenny Virtuti Militari Silver Cross, (Military Order of Virtuti Militari Silver Cross)

Medal Wojska (Army Medal) obverse.

Commemorative Cross for Monte Cassino more commonly known as the Monte Cassino Cross, obverse.

British Awards

1939-1945 Star.

Italy Star.

1939-1945 Defence Medal obverse.

1939-1945 War Medal obverse.

Your Grandfather may have been awarded the Cross of Valour, so Louise you may have a cross not shown above, if you do then please let me know.

Hope that the above helps you identify the medals of your Grandfather.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast