Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Ex pow identity card

Article about: Hello everybody, this is my grandfathers ex pow identity card, he was born in Lwow, Poland. I am struggling to identify the labor camp he was in. Looks like Tripoli, or maybeLeopoli(Lviv), a

Default Ex pow identity card

Hello everybody, this is my grandfathers ex pow identity card, he was born in Lwow, Poland. I am struggling to identify the labor camp he was in. Looks like Tripoli, or maybeLeopoli(Lviv), and then finished with Lipsk. I don’t know if he was in a camp in Germany, Poland or Lebanon(Tripoli). Also is a identity card issued by the Polish Armed forces mean he was already enlisted or could he have still been a citizen at the time?
    Any light that could be shed on this would be so very appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ex pow identity card   Ex pow identity card  

TMZ
    ?

I think at the Labour Camp name it says "Tropau - Lipsk".

Tropau was the German name for Opava, a town just on the Czech side of the Polish border, in Silesia. It's about 270 miles from Lwow (Lvov) and 250 miles from Leipzig (Lipsk).

(But I could be wrong)

More info on the labour camp in Tropau:

Pamiętają o Polakach, ktorzy zginęli w Skrochowicach – zwrot.cz

Translation:

In Skrochowice, on the Polish-Czech border between the cities of Opava and Krnov, there is a place not very well known, but very important for all Poles. At the beginning of the Second World War there was a concentration camp where Poles were imprisoned especially.

The building of the old sugar plant in Skrochowice was rebuilt in September 1939 into a small concentration camp for prisoners of Polish nationality, especially from the region of Cieszyn and Katowice.

It was the first Nazi concentration camp in Silesia. Heinrich Jockl, known for his brutal treatment, later became commander of the Terezin camp. A small monument to Polish prisoners reminds us of a tragic event. Today, the building is used for commercial purposes.

On Friday, 4.10.2019 the scouts gave away together with members of the Institute of National Remembrance and Mr Jerzy Ourrepers to the Poles from Upper Silesia, who in autumn 1939 they were murdered in the concentration camp there.

The civil camp was to operate until the end of 1939. Later there were civilians sent to other places, e.g. Gustav Morcinek, imprisoned there, went to Buchenwald. Later there was a POW camp, and the WP soldiers imprisoned in it were supposed to work, among others, in the area of Branice.

In the Skrochowice cemetery there is a mass grave in which 13 murdered people were buried.

Man!! Thank you, I haven’t come across Tropau in my searchin, I think you nailed it. I’ll do some searching and let you know how it goes, appreciate it !!

Seems like very little can be found on this place. Especially enough to be able to prove anything.

TMZ
    ?

There is this - https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs...CAMPS_0001.pdf

On page 135 there is:Ex pow identity card

So it seems there are multiple different ways to spell the name of this one town.

TROPAU, TROPPAU, OPAVA, OPPAVA, OPAWA, OPPAWA, OPPAU

Good luck.