Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

FALAISE. 1st Polish Armoured Division

Article about: I thought I'd share a wonderful publication 'FALAISE gap has been closed' by by Zygmunt Nagórski, Jnr which he wrote in London in 1944. It's an English language illustrated account of the f

Graff Archive
    ?

Default FALAISE. 1st Polish Armoured Division

I thought I'd share a wonderful publication 'FALAISE gap has been closed' by by Zygmunt Nagórski, Jnr which he wrote in London in 1944. It's an English language illustrated account of the famous 1st Polish Armoured Division which under the command of General Stanisław Maczek covered itself with fame on the Normandy battlefields during World War II. The 1st Polish Armoured Division played an outstanding role in the battles which secured the liberation of France and in the destruction of the 7th German Army. Commander-in-Chief General Kazimierz Sosnkowski wrote of their exploits, “Your battles, bitter and full of glory, form new pages in our people’s history”. Printed by C. Tinling & Co. Ltd., Liverpool, London and Prescot, 122 x 182 mm, 24 pages.

Has anyone else seen this publication before?

It can be viewed and also downloaded at GRAFF ARCHIVE Photographs and Documents

"Has anyone else seen this publication before?"

Hello, and welcome to he forum. Yes, I have a copy. One of many such publications produced by various Polish "propaganda" organizations that helped keep the Polish diaspora informed of the efforts of the Poles fighting alongside he Allies.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Graff Archive
    ?

WW2 printing houses established by Polish forces, clergy and refugees across Europe and the Middle East is a fascinating topic to study. Resources varied hugely and publications ranged from simple typed and xeroxed journals to sophisticated lithographic books. Much of the output produced in the Middle East after the evacuation from the USSR was to facilitate the work of the Polish schools which were set up there. The “Polak w Iranie” magazine published 1942-1944 was hugely popular and influential. The Graff Archive has many examples including publications produced in Rome, Milan, London, Budapest, Jerusalem, Tehran etc etc as well as by the Polish printing houses established in Scotland both during and after the war.

Time permitting, in due course I hope to have some of the more interesting of these scanned and made available at GRAFF ARCHIVE Historical Photographs and Documents