Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identify Genuine Polish Second Corps Items

Article about: My grandfather was in the Polish Second Corps, (2nd Corps Base CO:Gen Przewlocki, Guard Battalion). I would like to obtain the correct badges/ patches and eagle he would have worn. Can anyon

PolishInquiry
    ?

Default Identify Genuine Polish Second Corps Items

My grandfather was in the Polish Second Corps, (2nd Corps Base CO:Gen Przewlocki, Guard Battalion). I would like to obtain the correct badges/ patches and eagle he would have worn. Can anyone provide insight into if the items below would be accurate or genuine? I already have the red, PSK, mermaid patch.

Welcome to the forum. The bullion thread 8th Army shield is the better choice of the two. The other is a type I’ve not seen associated with the Poles. It may be a variant used by others, or even a repro. The collar tabs are for sappers / engineers, so would not be applicable to your grandfather’s uniform. Either of the metal eagles are OK. The cloth eagle on black background was use by the armoured corps, and your grandfather, if he had one on a beret / GS cap, would have been on a khaki green background. The shoulder titles are a type most often associated with the 1st Corps. They are not technically incorrect though. See post #2 of this thread for a type commonly used in the 2nd Corps, and readily available on the militaria market:

3 DSK 1st Battalion

Lastly, the 2nd Corps Base syrenka insignia was on a blue background, see post #2 here for some examples:

"Syrenka" arm patch introduction

Cheers,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 02-25-2016 at 05:19 AM. Reason: typo "GD" cap, meant "GS" cap
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

PolishInquiry
    ?

Thanks for your reply Tony! I will upload more information about me later. Thanks for your information. This will sound stupid, but which of the 2 is made with "bullion thread". Where would the eagle have been worn? From looks in pictures, the one on his cap looks to be metal and not fabric? What is the difference between the two eagles?

I could not find the post about the "shoulder titles".

As to the "Syrenka", They would have been blue, but I was told they changed over to the red?

This is a red one I have obtained, is it genuine? It looks like it is?

Identify Genuine Polish Second Corps ItemsIdentify Genuine Polish Second Corps Items