Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for more information regarding my grandfather

Article about: Hi all!! I am completely new to all this! I have recently found out that my step-grandfather was in the 2nd Polish Corp during WW2 and he may be been there along with my grandfather (its com

Default Looking for more information regarding my grandfather

Hi all!!

I am completely new to all this! I have recently found out that my step-grandfather was in the 2nd Polish Corp during WW2 and he may be been there along with my grandfather (its complicated) who he met during this time. I have a number of items from my grandmother and wondered if anyone could help me find out more about him??

Thanks in advance,

Jen

Looking for more information regarding my grandfatherLooking for more information regarding my grandfatherLooking for more information regarding my grandfatherLooking for more information regarding my grandfatherLooking for more information regarding my grandfatherLooking for more information regarding my grandfatherLooking for more information regarding my grandfather

Hello Jen,

On the pictures you posted there are among others:

The ID Card (Legitymacja) of the Badge of the 65 Pomorski Batalion Piechoty (65th Pomeranian Infantry Battalion) Numbered 662/2 and the ID Card (Legitymacja) of the Badge of the 2nd Polish Corps Numbered 016494. Also the Soldier's Service and Pay Book.

Your step-grandfather was in the rank of Strzelec (Rifleman/Private) and his Army Number was: 1924-345-III.

The rest of the document you can easily translate.

I have searched in the available recodrs' databases of Tadeusz Wnęk (born 1924) but witout any luck unfortunately.

The only what I was able to find in the National Archives is that Tadeusz Wnęk obtained UK citizenship on 30th November 1976:

Looking for more information regarding my grandfather

Index entry of Naturalisation Certificate: Tadeusz Wnek. From Poland. Resident in Nottingham. Certificate 022361 issued 30 November 1976. Home Office file number: W63662. [Duplicate Certificate does not survive].

Regards
    Konrad

Hello Jen,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, Tadeusz Wnęk joined the Polish 2nd Corps on the 23rd May 1945 according to his AB64, The best place to obtain information on Tadeusz would be from the Ministry of Defence.

I have attached the link for you to read and decide whether or not to apply for copies of his records held by the M-o-D :

Get a copy of military service records: Apply for the records of someone who's deceased - GOV.UK

Jen if you do decide to apply, please make sure to ask for copies of all records that they hold, otherwise you will just receive a one or two page letter with the basic of information.

Would I be correct in saying that Tadeusz died on the 22nd August 2009, whilst living at Abbey Grove in Nottingham, just some further information found on the web.

Anyway Welcome once again Jen

Best wishes

Andrzej
    Last edited by andrzejku98; 03-05-2022 at 03:10 PM. Reason: correction of spelling