Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Marksmanship badge with Swastika - Polish?

Article about: This badge was identified by the previous owner as being a Polish marksmanship badge issued in 1938. Can any one of our knowledgeable forum members confirm this, or otherwise provide a corre

Default Marksmanship badge with Swastika - Polish?

This badge was identified by the previous owner as being a Polish marksmanship badge issued in 1938. Can any one of our knowledgeable forum members confirm this, or otherwise provide a correct ID?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Marksmanship badge with Swastika - Polish?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Marksmanship badge with Swastika - Polish?  Marksmanship badge with Swastika - Polish? 

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Marksmanship badge with Swastika - Polish?

Hey Kazik,
    It looks Polish but I cant be sure.There were a couple of Polish mark`s mans badges during the 2nd RP.The Swastika is acually on a couple of Polish badges as it was a good luck sign before the nazi`s adopted it as there symbol.

Hi Guys, I don't recognise it, but I am tempted to say it is Finnish. The fir tree branches and the style of swastika makes me think that. Also it being screwback is another plus in it's favour.

Cheers, Ade.

The swastika is a popular symbol in Polish mountain units of the IIRP.
    It was a symbol of luck and good prospects in the podhale regions, hence all Podhalanian rifle regiments had the swastika as part of their regimental badges.

As for this badge i don't recognise it as being polish. I looked into my books about the Podhalanian regiments and it doesn't figure there.
    It may be possible that its some kind of unit marksmans badge, i will ask around and maybe by friday will have a more concrete answer for you.

I think the use of the swastika in Polish badges is related to heraldic symbology of cross cramponned—each arm resembling a crampon or angle-iron—rather than used a symbol of good luck or good fortune. But I am no expert
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

The swastyka has its origins in the podhale(polish mountains) regions for thousands of years. It is a symbol of "swarog" the god of sun. It symbolised light, warmness and life.
    A symbol of good fortune.
    General Andrzej Galica(himself a goral), the founder of the "pulki podhalanskie" in a letter to the war ministry in 1919 wanted these regiments, made of mountain men (gorale) to be allowed to wear the swastyka on their collars. This request was granted, hence all mountain regiments wore the swastyka badge(know in polish as podhalanka) on their collars. Later it served as symbol in regimental badges, unit colours etc etc.

It's definitly a podhale symbol, i live near Szczyrk which is a mountain village near Bielsko-Biala and in this region it was common for us to be taught a little bit about this symbol, shamefully tarnished by WW2....

Thanks cichociemni

I have learnt something new today about Polish pagan symbology and Polish militaria

and have found good web links for Polish/Salvic paganism at:

Polish mythology
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Than you all for responding to my request for military badge information.Your assistance was extremlly helpful & greatly appreciated.
    Any other ideas or info would be welcome.

Sorry for digging up an old topic, but I bumped in to this while googling for stuff.

This is a Finnish army marksmans badge/medal, Model 1921.

Worth about 40 euros.

Better late than never . Thanks TonninStiflat
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne