Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Monte Cassino 60th Veterans Cross - Fantasy?

Article about: This made me laugh, seen on fleabay, surely nothing this bad is real? WW2 Polish 60 Universary Battle of Monte Cassino Cross for Veterans WW2 WWII ORIGINAL* Polish Army*Veterans 60 UNIVERSAR

Default Monte Cassino 60th Veterans Cross - Fantasy?

This made me laugh, seen on fleabay, surely nothing this bad is real?

WW2 Polish 60 Universary Battle of Monte Cassino Cross for Veterans

WW2 WWII ORIGINAL* Polish Army*Veterans 60 UNIVERSARY BATTLE OF MONTE CASSINO* 2 Polish Korps 8th Army* in Italy. Rare !!!*Made in London and it was ordered *for Polish Combatants Association. Very nice item, beautiful and genuine. No ribbon. Should be Monte Cassino Cross ribbon.* Full size badge 40mm / 40mm .* Mint condition !!

Monte Cassino 60th Veterans Cross - Fantasy?
    Rise & ReverberateGib mir wieder etwas Schönes

Hi Stefan,

It’s the first one like it that I am seeing. There have been many commemorative Monte Cassino items marking the various anniversaries produced for veterans, with the 50th in 1994 being a particularly prolific year for obvious reasons. The topic of commemorative Monte Cassino items would make for an interesting thread of its own.

But to return to the item you’ve posted, it may well be legitimate although I’m wary of the inclusion of the serial number. Rather sloppy. This is evidently a direct cast copy of one of the surplus unawarded crosses, and one would expect that this number would have been removed for the final product. Also, the bright gold plating is a little bit garish when considering the original crosses were a subdued dark bronze. But having said that I have seen other commemorative pins and the like in a similar finish.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne