Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino Cross

Article about: Can anyone help me find out who was originally awarded a monte cassino cross with with serial number 7 079. Thanks for your help.

Thank you Andrzej. I have obtained my father’s record from the MOD but there are only a few of his medals posted. His Cross of Valor was not on the record as were others which I have Certificates for so I thought you might have a record of it. My father told my brother that it had been lost in the moves.

Hello Krystyna,

Many thanks for your post, the best authority to confirm awards made during the 2nd World War to members of the Polish Armed Forces is the PISM in London, they have the recommendations for the Cross of Valour and can confirm the awards of not only the Virtuti Militari, Cross of Valour, Crosses of Merit with and without swords and the Army Medal.

But unfortunately they do charge for up to 2 hours research with no guarantee of finding anything, your best bet would be to book a seat in the reading room and then work through the records. I will say that there are an awful lot. So you might not find what you are looking for on your first visit.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Andrzej, Thank you for all the information. I am not quite sure what PISM stands for. Is this a part of the Sikorsky Museum? Unfortunately, I live in the United States in Florida. Maybe next time I’m in England I will definitely make arrangements to visit the PISM. Is there a chance that maybe these records will one day be copied and put on line for the world to see.
    Thank you again Andrzej.
    Krystyna

hi krystyna
    here is the link for the museum instructions for them to search. it costs £25 for 2 hour search, they did it for me it took 6 months but very succesful, i got a copy of the actual record of why and where my father was awarded the cross of valor, and copies of his name on other medal lists, well worth the wait. you need to send them copies of as much information that you already have, name m DOB, MOD record, certificates etc etc, this saves them time knowing which regiments , places , records to look into.
    good luck
    Postal Enquiries

Hello Anthony, Thank you for the information and link. Nice to see you were able to get all that information on your father. Did you send them the £25 via Check?
    Krystyna

hi krystyna , yes send a cheque for £25 together with all the info you already have , request them to do a 2 hr search , also state that you accept that if they do not find any information the £25 is payable anyway. they will find something for sure but be patient as its done by volunteers and it took 6 mths before they replied to me , but well worth the wait!!
    good luck in your seaarch

Hello Krystyna,

I have been doing some digging into your late Father Piotr Migowski Service during the 2nd World War and have found the following information and photograph of him in uniform.

Monte Cassino Cross

The photograph shows Piotr Migowski when a St.Panc. (Lance Corporal) later promoted to Kapral (Corporal)

Born on the 1st November 1918 to Father Piotr and Mother Leonja Skrodzka, when only 20 years old the 2nd World War began, he was a Reservist called up and served with the 25PUL (25th Cavalry Regiment / 25 Pułk Ułanów Wielkopolskich (25th Greater Poland Cavalry Regiment).

After being released from the Gulags he joined the Polish Forces under the command of General Anders and served in the 6PUL from the 10th September 1941 until 12th May 1942.

After the evacuation from the soviet union he arrived with his Unit in Iran and then moved onto Iraq then Palestine, Egypt between 1942-January 1944.

On the 17th January 1944 he arrived in Italy, with his Regiment the 1st Lancers Regiment (1 Pułk Ułanów Krechowieckich im. Pułkownika Bolesława Mościckiego).

He served with the regiment from 1941-1946.

Whilst serving in the Regiment he served in the 1st Squadron and received the Regimental Badge and Legitymacja Numbered : 685.

He was also awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Cross of Valour 1939-1945) along with the Army Medal (Medal Wojska)

Monte Cassino Cross

Cross of Valour

Monte Cassino Cross

Army Medal

The British Awards he received are as follows :

Monte Cassino Cross

British 1939-1945 Star

Monte Cassino Cross

British Italy Star

Monte Cassino Cross

British Defence Medal 1939-1945

After the end of the War in Europe your Father came to the UK with his Regiment and he then joined the Polish Resettlement Corps, and after being demobbed from the PRC became a civilian worker. Piotr died in Bradford on the 5th December 1976.

Krystyna although your Father was on Mainland Italy from January 1944, I can not find him listed as a Recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross, also the Regimental History published in 2002 lists his award of the Cross of Valour but not the Monte Cassino Cross.

Perhaps when you have received his Service Record from the British Ministry of Defence, this will clarify the situation.

Anyway it is good to know the Regiment that your Father served in and that he was awarded the Cross of Valour.

Best wishes

Andrzej
    Attached Images Attached Images Monte Cassino Cross 

?

Hi everyone

I'm researching my grandfather's war history. His name was Aleksander Kubisiak. I know he fought in Monte Cassino, his Cross is number 48444.

I also have a ring that pinpoints him as having fought in Italy as a Polish Commando as early as 1943.

The ring is really faded but I gathered that it is engraved with Poland Commando, with Sangro-Garigliano 1943-1944 on the inside, number is 68.

Could anyone point me to more details about his unit and deployments?

I know he fought early on in the war in Narvik, where he was injured, but not much else.

His military papers got stolen in North Africa. He subsequently never got any war veteran pension until 1976, and passed away in 1980...

Any help is welcome!

Hello Fran,

Do you know perhaps your grandfather's date and place of birth?

I found some data about one soldier named Aleksander Kubisiak:

Monte Cassino Cross

If you have your grandfather's cross, it would be nice to see a picture of it as well as his other souvenirs.

Tegards
    Konrad

?

Hi Konrad

Nice one, it is him indeed!

He was born in a prisoners camp in Germany right after WW1 ended, only to enlist in the Polish Armed Forces in the West after he had moved to France.

He was 21 and France was about to fall to the Blitzkrieg, and he made that choice, talk about fate and courage...

I need to ask my mother for pictures, I only have the one ring at the moment.
    Last edited by Fran; 02-08-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast