Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 536 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

Default re: Monte Cassino cross

Hello Andy, and welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting the information about your grandfather. For a glimpse as to what your grandfather endured deeper understanding of the history of the Polish 2nd Corps I highly recommend that you read “An Army in Exile: The Story of the Second Polish Corps” by General Władysław Anders. It is essential reading.

Finding cross # 35845 will be the proverbial needle in a haystack as 50,000 of these crosses were issued, but don’t give up!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Forum, the only other information that I could find on your Grandfather is as follows:

Rank: Kanonier (Artilleryman), Date of Birth: 1912, Army Number: 1912-79-III, 7 Pulk Artylerii Plot. Lekkiej.

I hope that the above helps you a little.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Hi Guys,
    Have you ever seen Monte Cassino Cross with convex letter R on the bottom arm under the number? I wonder what that letter stands for...
    Thanks fro any info
    Simon

Hi Simon,

I haven't seen one like that. Can you post a picture?

T.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Check it out Tony....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Monte Cassino cross  

Where do you guys find these crosses? How much do they usually go for? I would love one.

Simon, very possibly R for Replica. That's not a genuine cross.

ObKrieger, they're relatively common on ebay. But one needs to be wary of some of the deceptive copies out there. Genuine crosses on issue ribbon are hitting roughly $150 in an open auction. Buy It Nows are $50 to $100 higher. If you're serious about buying one I'd recommend awaiting a matching cross and award document pair. Of course, the price will be higher, but a number matching set is much nicer.

Here's an ebay listing that pictures and discusses some of the fakes floating about the market:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FAKE-POLISH-M...item35a4b58ed8

Regards,
    Tony

andydugg
    ?

thanks for your help everyone. I will read that recommended book to find out more. And, I will keep searching for medal!!

This is an awesome post, thank you everyone.

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about getting into Polish militaria, since my girlfriend is Polish and I find the culture fascinating. I just don't know where to find it. You would think it would be easy since pretty much everyone in the town where I live is of Polish descent.

Actually, the famous pilot Franciszek Jarecki lived in my city until his death a couple of years ago.

?

Thanks Tony That's what I suspected. Still, someone went for extra trouble to manufacture this cross with the letter R

Page 11 of 536 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast