Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need your help for identify soldier on photo (inside truck)

Article about: Hello there Everyone! Trying to sort out is that my great-grandfather on the military family photo or not (inside truck)? better quality photo: https://mega.nz/file/Cux00SzZ#CK1xK0...OgjOwTH

Default Need your help for identify soldier on photo (inside truck)

Hello there Everyone!

Trying to sort out is that my great-grandfather on the military family photo or not (inside truck)?

better quality photo:
    https://mega.nz/file/Cux00SzZ#CK1xK0...OgjOwTHby0ulv0

- Do you know why he is wearing a sunglasses?
    - Is it allowded for an ordinary soldiers?
    - What does the "KW" mean? I know that the №55 means the number of pulk - 3KPAPL. №L4806891 seems for the sirial truck number.

Looks like this kind of sunglasses were given to a soldiers who was a driver in the army or may be they bought it by himself to protect eyes from the glare approaching cars?

From the words of my grandfather, great-grandfather after he was wounded, became a personal driver of the officer.
    He said that it was pułkownik (in the 3 KPAPL was only one pułkownik dowodca 3 KPAPL Leon Przybytko), but I think that he was wrong, because on the 593 Hill photo, which I posted previously (Monte Cassino cross group), when Andrzej, posted a cartoon to the 3 KPAPL officers, seems that he stand most of all near zastepca III dywizjon kpt. Feliks Szymonski & also I remember that they was a near age to each other.
    My great-grandfather born 1907, kpt. Feliks Szymonski born 1906.

Also I remember story, when some day they went together to a some monastery and a local priest treated them a monastery wine and they drunk all together so much that couldn't stand from the table. I think that the pułkownik dowodca 3 KPAPL
    unlikely drink like that with an ordinary soldiers.

- How do you think Is it a sunglasses or shadow surrounds the eyes?

better quality photo:
    https://mega.nz/file/i24WySBA#JyLfuk...tGfglpc5Z62dX4

- May be is it possible for someone post a little bit photos with soldiers who was a driver in a II Corps or wore a sunglasses?

On the first photo soldier wear a beret and looks like he in a rank of "kapral" like my great-grandfather for that moment. The small white point from the left side of eagle similar to Jerusalem Cross.

- And the last question, why he wear a strange coat, which looks like a
    leather jacket & do not include any rank or dywizjon patches on his left shoulder
    (mean first photo inside truck)?

Do you have any idea about that?

Post some more photos of my great-grandfather Gajewski Walerian:

better quality photo:
    https://mega.nz/file/OmwQjISK#MkOdor...Bshbar0h_WsPkg

better quality photo:
    https://mega.nz/file/OqoyHIxB#qtVact...7fWZk2ZKoKONsc

Regards, Valerii

Hello there everyone!

If it possible, please leave your thoughts for the underlined questions.
    Will be very grateful for that.

Regards, Valerii

Hello Valerii,

You posted a very interesting photo with this trucks. It seems that it was made in some Italian town over the Adriatic Sea. In the background on the left you can see a steep rocky slope, and on the right side you can clearly see the surface of some larger water reservoir, in my opinion, the Adriatic.

It also seems that on these rocks on the left there are ruins of buildings. The most characteristic are the ruins in the middle, probably a part of the destroyed church tower or town hall. In my opinion, an Italian who knows the geography of his country well would be useful. I skimmed the Adriatic coast on the Google Earth but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack... It could be the vicinity of Ancona or maybe Pesaro... Although, as Andrzej noted, the soldiers in the truck do not have any weapons that is pretty strange as the 3KPAPL stayed over the Adriatic during active military operations.

Regards
    Konrad

PS The only thing I associate with the shortcut "KW" on the truck is "Kompania Wartownicza" or maybe "Kwatermistrzostwo". But it's just my foggy guess...

Many thanks for your post Konrad!

When you wrote it, in a same time seems that our thoughts crossed, because I'm also tried to find this
    place from the photo with truck.
    I think this idea have more chances if I can get a copy of regimental chronicles of 3KPAPL from PISM.
    Also seems like kind of catholic cross can be found on the hill 's top.

Also I have found a photo of officer in sunglasses which very similar to sunglasses of soldier from the truck.

Regards, Valerii

Valerii,

It looks like the soldier's glasses from the truck have extra side protection shields.

Does the PISM send copies of documents such as chronicles?

Regards
    Konrad

I think that you absolutly right Konrad. Looks like sunglasses from the photo
    have an extra side protection shields actually.
    Some days ago I went through the PISM youtube chanel & found the similar one from
    the Monte Cassino war chronical.
    Looks like this kind off sunglasses wearded by the drivers in the Anders army
    during an ordinary service.

Also seems that the sunglasses from the 593 group photo more similar to this one.
    Looks like this type also used by drivers but for more official purposes, for example
    during trip with officers for an official meetings or kind like that.

These confirmations and my grandfather's story increase chances a liitle for that the soldier
    from the truck can be my great-grandfather.

Don't think that it can be possible to get copies like that from PISM.
    Want to visit museum in the end of February if they decided reopen their doors
    till that moment.

Regards, Valerii

Hello Valerii,

Many thanks for your post, the last 2 still's show General Anders with the USA General Mark Clark.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Valerii,

I took a closer look at this photo with trucks and the question arises whether this dark horizontal wide strip at the top of the photo above the water covered with lighter close clouds is a strip of dark clouds in the distance or the outline of land in the distance...? Because if it is actually land then this potential water reservoir is not rather the Adriatic Sea...

So the photo might as well have been taken somewhere in the middle of the land or on the west coast of Italy, for example during a trip to Naples. We probably won't find out...

This driver in the last two photos is a US Army soldier.

In my opinion there is some similarity between the photo of your grandfather's face and the photo of the face of a soldier wearing sunglasses from a truck.

Regards
    Konrad

Just added the full photo in case the link fails - sorry, I cant contribute any more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need your help for identify soldier on photo (inside truck)  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hello there Everyone!

Thanks a lot for your help Konrad, Andrzej & Danmark!

I got even more help from your side than expected.
    Thanks a lot again, think that this topic can be closed.
    According to your comments Konrad, in a nearest future will try to find
    that place from the photo.

Regards, Valerii

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast