Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Para Patki with Supply Backings

Article about: Good day folks I'd like your comments on these please. They appear to be uniform removed but the backings are polygon rather than kite shaped. Is that a red flag? What about the parachutes t

?

I purchased these para supply patki from Mateusz Palka who is a member of this forum and is employed by the dealer Arsenal Krak in Krakow. After someone expressed some doubts I asked him if they were really ok, and he assured me very vigorously that they were 100% original. After the further doubts expressed in this thread I wrote him an email asking to reimburse me as it seems no one thought them original. He did not bother to answer to my email, nor did he make a comment on this thread to defend them.

collar device attributed to a Signals chap. subtle differences between GR Tech and Kirkwood manufactured examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Para Patki with Supply Backings  
    Attached Images Attached Images Para Patki with Supply Backings 

pics do not seem to be uploading as per normal.

As I know only Kirkwood and Son was producing collar parachitist (besides workshop made inside the Brigade)

an interesting conundrum. based on observation, examples held and a little research, it would appear there were two different dies. when the GR Tech die supplied to Kirkwood became unserviceable, similar to the parachutist badge / eagle, Kirkwood produced their own. far be it though for me to set this statement in stone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Para Patki with Supply Backings  

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    an interesting conundrum. based on observation, examples held and a little research, it would appear there were two different dies. when the GR Tech die supplied to Kirkwood became unserviceable, similar to the parachutist badge / eagle, Kirkwood produced their own. far be it though for me to set this statement in stone.
    Yes, very interesting. Here’s an ideal opportunity to try and dispel some of the speculation and rumour that surrounds these. I’ve always been under the (likely misguided) impression that there was only a single official producer of die stamped badges. It does, however, seem reasonable that both Grupa Techniczna and Kirkwood would have produced them.

Did your research yield any literature or other evidence to support the existence of two different versions of the collar badge? Are you able to post images of the two versions and comment on what specific differences you observed? Is the version you posted stamped entirely in white metal? Lastly, how solid is the ‘signals chap’ provenance for the collar tab pictured?

Rafal, what information can you provide supporting Kirkwood’s production of these?

Gary J seems to have disappeared from the forum of late, but he would surely be able to weigh in with some solid information. I’ll need to try to rouse him from his slumber.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I am in "business" for over 18 years but I have never heard about collar parachutists being made by Grupa Techniczna.
    I also don't like the patch showed by Prosty Zolnierz. I saw several early patches belonged to soldiers who started service in the 4th Cadre Rifle Brigade (4 BSK) and later continued service in the 1st Indep. Para Brigade (1 SBS). All mentioned patches had standard K&S metal parachutists.

Parachute collar patches were approved in April 1942 and as I remember K&S die for related parachutists is dated May 1942. Additionally Grupa Techniczna was disbanded a few months later.

Searching archives for my PhD related to Polish Para badges (by the way - defended yesterday :-) ) I found a lot of information concerning other insignia. I saw documents related to disbandement of Grupa Techniczna and there was no info about collar parachutists.

I also checked daily orders of 4BKS and 1SBS but found no info related to this fact.

Showing one questionable parachute patch is no proof for me but I don't say that I know everything.
    Rafal

Here are early patches (BD and SD) belonged to Major Jozef Ryszka.
    He served in 4 BKS and shortly in 1 SBS because injured his leg during para training and changed the unit.

gathering evidence
    Attached Images Attached Images Para Patki with Supply Backings  Para Patki with Supply Backings 

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast