Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set

Article about: A pleasant surprise on arrival at the SPK yesterday for our monthly collectors club meeting. One of the rooms is presently being converted into a small museum, and there’s been a request iss

Default Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set

A pleasant surprise on arrival at the SPK yesterday for our monthly collectors club meeting. One of the rooms is presently being converted into a small museum, and there’s been a request issued for donations from the members. Among several uniforms donated was this superb Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD pair from the family of the veteran. A card in one of the pockets contains a name and rank “ppor Czochralski” and also “Baon Łącz” - Signals Battalion.

These are quick pics taken using my smartphone, and quality is not the best. I’ll strive for better and more thorough pics with a proper camera next visit. Realizing that you’re all impatient I thought it best to post these now rather than keep you waiting. . .

First up is the BD
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set   Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set  

Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set   Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set  

Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set   Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

And now for the SD
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set   Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

One more, a close up of the Mechanized Infantry and Cavalry Officer’s School badge. First time that I am seeing this badge with a fabric backing.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Podhale Rifles Battalion BD and SD Uniform Set  

Hello,
    Ho, my poor heart !
    Absolutely GREAT !
    The tunics are perfect and I can say that the Podhale Regiment is one of the rarest units to get uniforms... So, two from the same man the same day : a miracle ! Wonderfull you propose these pictures and allow to show these items in your museum. Congratulations.
    Of course,veryintrested ingetting pictures for the blog...
    THANK YOU !
    ZP
    PS : the next time, think to my heart...

Hi Stephane,

Yes, it was an unexpected and pleasant surprise to see this set. As mentioned above, it’s always exciting to find such treasures direct from the veterans family that have never circulated on the collector market. Sort of like finding an old unrestored classic automobile that’s been hidden away in a barn for decades. Un-messed with and completely original.

Please feel free to use these photos. I’m hoping to eventually bring along a proper camera to take detailed photos. I was rushed as we were about to start a meeting so unable to take pictures of the inside of the uniforms. I did notice that the SD was made by Edinburgh based tailor Burton. Burton was a popular supplier to “Maczek’s pancerniaki” stationed in Scotland.

Cheers,
    Tony

Wonderful addition for a museum !!

When i see these jackets, rise with me the question;
    had Polish soldiers tunics or more when they enlisted?
    For battle and for ceremonial occasions (or to go out); because the most common jackets you see are in very good shape;

This is a question that i have for a long time in my head, but forget to ask over and over...

Hello,
    The service dresses were not used for the fightings.
    For the battles, a battledress with opened collar, for officer, is possible.
    For the other ranks, the opened collars are best battledress, not battledress...
    In my collection for example, for the troopers (no officers), I only found ONE battledress for the battle, from the polish battlefield (24th Lancers). Only ONE...There are of course a lot of best battledresses.
    I am notsure to have answered to your question, my english is not perfect and I am afraid not to be sure to have understand your question...
    Tony will complete or correct my answer.
    Best regards.
    ZP

Thank you very much Ze-pole

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Hello,
    To continue with the topic of "best" (aka walking-out, or parade) battledress vs combat battledress, here is a photo of the latter. This is the only such example that I have seen.

The collar remains closed as you can see. The tunic also has the regimental collar pennons (white and yellow), the black left shoulder strap with rank insignia, and the "uncut" divisional insignia on the left arm. These were typically trimmed out on best battledress.

The back of this battledress is very impressive showing evidence of combat use with some burning, I would suspect from a burned tank. The belt, the suspenders and the holster are visible from heat damage. The soldier survived because the army number inside (no name unfortunately) is not noted as being killed in action"

Tony will post the picture. I thank him again for his help (for the picture and to translate my sentences in fluent English...).
    ZP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast