Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Engineers 20th Field Squadron 9 March 1943, anyone got War Diary?

Article about: Fellow forum member hucks216 forwarded me a tweet a few days ago that contained the below image as it was is described as being at Motherwell and I'm Motherwell born, the location looked ver

?

Default Polish Engineers 20th Field Squadron 9 March 1943, anyone got War Diary?

Fellow forum member hucks216 forwarded me a tweet a few days ago that contained the below image as it was is described as being at Motherwell and I'm Motherwell born, the location looked very familiar as if its where I think it is I live about the same distance the opposite side of the slag heap on the photo, I went to try get a matching photo today but can't get a match so I may be in the wrong place, so I'm hoping someone has the unit War Diary that may confirm the location and hopefully I can get a then and now

The full IWM caption has "Spectators watching troops of the 20th Field Squadron, Polish Army Engineers, assembling the sections of a Bailey Bridge during a bridge building demonstration for Scottish factory workers at Motherwell. All workers were employed in making component parts of the Bailey Bridge and it was the first time they saw the results of their work put into operation and used by the Army."

I'm guessing the factory mentioned is "Motherwell Bridge Limited" but there were a few heavy industry factories in the area including Findlays who made Mulberry sections

Hello AB64,

Many thanks for your post, I have also been able to find the following photographs for you taken on the 9th March 1943 at Motherwell :

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Thanks for these Andrzej, its just a shame there is nothing that gives a better idea of location, it's a shame I can't ask my Dad as he knew the area well but the question came up about 6 weeks too late