Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

polish forced labor P patch real or fake?

Article about: Hi! what do you think about this patch? good or fake? thanks in advance! regards James

Default polish forced labor P patch real or fake?

Hi! what do you think about this patch? good or fake? thanks in advance!
    regards James

James,

Can you please get some images of the back..

Front and back images of items are really necessary to make better assessments.

Initial image looks OK, but I would like to see the reverse. Something like this should also be passed under a blacklight to assess the fabric/ink.

Thank you

Smitty

sure, i will ask seller for back photo, thank you for remind

back photo

James,

This is just my opinion with this patch that I personally would want some provenance to accompany it. Now it appears to be an unissued example, which for me is where I would be cautious. Understandably many of these were printed and never used and I am sure that there were many unissued examples brought back by Soldiers, etc., but without provenance as to where these came from (liberated from) leaves me a bit skeptical. Given that the Holocaust is one of those areas of high visibility and many profit off the simple word "Holocaust" I remain hesitant to confirm this is an original..

This is one of the accepted designs and the colors of the ink are accurate as well, but these materials and ink are available 80 plus years later and can be reproduced quite easily. One of the reasons why for something like this I would want a blacklight to see if the fabric and or ink glows.

Comparing this example with a similar unissued example at the US Holocaust Musuem in Washington, D.C. the P on this example is rather short and the example in the Holocaust Museum in DC, the P is more elongated and the yellow portion inside the P itself seems longer on the example in DC vs this one. It is shorter and stubbier looking. See this link here:

Unused forced labor badge, yellow with a purple P, to identify a Polish forced laborer - Collections Search - United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

Different printing and different Fonts were used by companies that were tasked with printing these items, but I would use caution and find out more information form the seller, but always "buy the item, not the story..

CARL is one of our most informed on the Holocaust and the insignia used and worn and I am sure he may be able to provide some insight as well..

I will look into my reference books to see if there is any further information about this particular insignia..

Best regards

Smitty

thank you for help, about provenance, seller say that patch was given to his wife mother by some person in 50's , i personally know seller and i know he isn't kind of ww2 memorablia dealer (its only his ww2 item)

James,

If this is the only provenance you have to go by and you trust this person, I hope it works out for you and you can obtain it. I am one for complete investigation of an item, but I will continue to look for other examples that have been shown as original for you

Best

Smitty