Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish Medals and Badges

Article about: Hello All, I am trying to find out the medals and badges of my grandfather - I have been doing some detective work and found out some information regarding his past. However despite my effor

Default Polish Medals and Badges

Hello All,

I am trying to find out the medals and badges of my grandfather - I have been doing some detective work and found out some information regarding his past. However despite my efforts seem to have hit a wall with his medals and badges. Hoping you can help!

So here is my first image (I will post them separately to keep things neat).

Polish Medals and Badges

I apologise for the quality, they were not taken by me, but I have requested some better ones!

So far I have -
    Badge - BLANK
    Top Row = BLANK, Monte Cassino, BLANK, BLANK
    Bottom Row = BLANK, 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star, Italy Star

I am very new to military, and polish war history ( I am not from Poland so this side has been a mystery to me).

Bonus Round Badge:

Any idea what this is?

Polish Medals and Badges

Thanks all for your help! I will post more as I get them!

Hello Elkbond,

May I be the first to welcome you to the forum, with regards to your Grandfathers tunic badges and ribbons, I hope you do not mind me taking the liberty to identify them for you

The Badge is the Armoured Trains Badge for service in the UK, the badge itself should be numbered on the reverse.

With regards to your Grandfathers Ribbon Bars they are has follows:

1st Row : Wound Ribbon with 1 Star
    2nd Row : Cross of Merit with Swords ribbon (unfortunately I could not make out whether the swords are Gold, Silver or Bronze) Commemorative Cross of Monte Cassino ribbon with diagonal Monte Cassino (more commonly know as the Monte Cassino Cross), Cross of Merit ribbon, 1918-1921 War Medal ribbon.
    3rd Row : 10th Anniversary of Independence Medal ribbon, British 1939-1945 Star ribbon, Africa Star ribbon, Italy Star ribbon.

Your Grandfather would have also been awarded the Medal Wojska 1939-1945 (Army Medal 1939-1945)

With regards to the Badge unfortunately I have no idea it is not Polish.

I have attached a photograph of the Medal Wojaka below for you to see.

Polish Medals and Badges

Elkbond if you let me know your Grandfathers Name I might be able to glean a little more information for you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Fantastic! Sent you a pm

Can I ask a very stupid question (newbie, be gentle!), what does the swords mean/ require vs the standard cross of merit? I believe its silver but I am getting that confirmed ( I don't have the uniform on me). Same with the wound ribbon and stars.

He does have the Medal Wojaka and since you identified some of the other I stumbled across another one (not on the uniform) as 20 years serviced (Maroon/ Dark Magenta - thick white - Maroon/ Dark Magenta).

Thanks for the First badge ID, I knew it would be UK (the place names are a give away). I will now look into the history of this.

Hello Elkbond,

No problem, we all start somewhere, the Cross of Merit with Swords was founded by Presidential decree on the 19th October 1942, it was instituted as an award during the 2nd WW in recognition of deeds of courage and bravery but not necessarily in direct contact with the enemy.

The 20 Year Long Service Medal established in 1938 was made in 0.950 silver by the State Mint in Warsaw the rim of the medal shows a twin arrow head and Ag,0,950. If your Grandfather received the 20 Year Long Service Medal he may have also been awarded the 10 Year Long Service Medal as well.

Hope that this helps you Elkbond.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Elkbond,

I have just vieded your badge it seems to me to Facist Italian, probably picked up in Italy ?

Best wishes

Andrzej

I will try and have a look on that now, thanks

That was quick!! You were dead on the money!

ITALIAN FASCIST BADGES 1923-1945 AT WWW.THIRDREICHMEDALS.COM

At the very bottom - GIL rank badge - I will have to look into this!

Hello Elkbond,

Well found on the Italian Badge, I forgot to also mention that your Grandfather would also have been awarded the British 1939-1945 Defence Medal and the 1939-1945 War Medal as shown below.

Polish Medals and Badges

British 1939-1945 Defence Medal obverse and reverse

Polish Medals and Badges

British 1939-1945 War Medal obverse and reverse

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Elkbond,

I just thought that you might like to view the awards of your Grandfather instead of just the ribbon bars,

Polish Medals and Badges

Silver Cross of Merit with Swords this one was made in Italy by S A Pichiani and Barlacchi of Florence

Polish Medals and Badges

Monte Cassino Cross obverse and reverse

Polish Medals and Badges

Gold Cross of Merit the silver Cross was the same but in silver colour

Polish Medals and Badges

Bronze Cross of Merit (Unfortunately it is not possible to tell just from the Ribbon which Class your Grandfather was awarded).

Polish Medals and Badges

1918-1921 War Medal obverse and reverse

Polish Medals and Badges

10th Anniversary of Independence Medal obverse and reverse

Polish Medals and Badges

20 Year Long Service Medal obv and reverse

Polish Medals and Badges

10 Year Long Service Medal obv and rev with award packet

I hope that the above photographs help you identify your Grandfathers Awards Elkbond

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast