Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 148 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Article about: Rare badge from this maker! Thanks for posting this nice clear picture. Regards, Tony

Default Re: Polish Regimetal Badges WW2

Thanks Ade.

While I’m at it might as well post another Znak Pancerny that I recently picked up. Same standard measurements as the others (~ 35 x 40mm) although this one is crafted in silver and has a pinback mounting. I don’t know too much about it, but from experience badges having this type of SILVER stamp often seem have their origins in the UK. As always, any comments, clarifications, or corrections are certainly more than welcome.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

G
    This is an iconic badge. Congratulations!
    How did you acquire one?
    I have been trying almost for a decade.

Quote by Polski44 View Post
    1SBS

Field Glider Badge

Tony
    I think this version was produced by Chisholm and Mackay - please see my post on 24Lancers - the nut is the same - Chisholm and Mackay was the maker of early 24 Lancers

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Here’s another “Znak Pancerny”, although of UK manufacture. There is some uncertainty as to which Edinburgh based firm produced these: Kirkwood & Son or Chisholm and Mackay. In the case of this one I am inclined to think the latter by virtue of the distinctive spinner. It is very possible that Kirkwood produced their own version as well.

Default Polish Regimetal Badges WW2

All – Please keep posting your badges – it is becoming an excellent gallery!

Badge of 24Landers – part of 1 Polish Armoured Division

This is an early issue from 1940-43 by Chisholm and Mackay

Regiment with great history dating back to Polish War with Bolsheviks in 1920
    Very distinguished in September Campaign (part of the Black Brigade – 10 Motorised Cavalierly) – under the gen Maczek for 5 years of war

Statistics for WW2 in Western Europe
    • Killed 69 (inc 13 officers)
    • Wounded 147 (inc 22 officers)
    • Virtuti Militari V class – 24
    • Cross of valour 204
    • France and Germany Star 799
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Tony
    I think this version was produced by Chisholm and Mackay - please see my post on 24Lancers - the nut is the same - Chisholm and Mackay was the maker of early 24 Lancers
    Yes, agreed. Just as I said, the characteristic Chisholm and Mackay spinner on the badge is the tell tale evidence. Although a reliable Sikorski Museum reference I have lists only Kirkwood as a recognized maker.

And nice 24th by the way!

Regards,
    Tony

PLEASE KEEP POSTING BADGES - LET'S CONTINUE THIS FASCINATING SUBJECT

2 Motorised Artilery Regiment of the Polish 1st Armored Division

Anniversary of Falaise Pocket Battle

When Germany invaded Poland in September 1939, then-Colonel Maczek’s 10th Motorized Cavalry Brigade had been the only fully mechanized unit in the Polish army. Reorganized in France, the 10th Brigade fought with distinction until that country was overrun in June 1940. Resurrected once more on British soil, in 1942 the unit was expanded to division strength, with 885 officers, 15,210 enlisted men, 381 tanks, 4,050 other military vehicles and 473 artillery pieces.

Joining the British advance on August 8 was the Polish 1st Armored Division. The division was a component of Lt. Gen. Guy G. Simonds’ II Canadian Army Corps of the Canadian First Army, under Lt. Gen. Henry D.G. Crerar.

Falaise Pocket Battle had cost the Polish 1st Armored Division 1,290 troops killed, 3,820 wounded and 22 missing in action. Although anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 Germans had managed to escape across their remaining crossing at St. Lambert before the Falaise salient closed completely on August 21, 10,000 had been killed and 50,000 taken prisoner. In addition, nearly all of their tanks and artillery pieces had been left behind.

On the 20th anniversary of Falaise, former President Dwight D. Eisenhower commented, ‘No other battlefield presented such a horrible sight of death, hell and total destruction.’

The German army in France never fully recovered from the losses it suffered at Falaise. And now, too, the road to Paris lay open to the Allies.

For Maczek and the men of his 1st Polish Armored Division, the battles of Chambois and Hill 262 represented their greatest victory in the West-and long-overdue revenge against the Germans. After the battle, General Crerar sent the following telegram to Maczek: ‘First Canadian Army is very proud because of the fact that Polish Armored Division is a part of us. If in the future we all continue to fight as at the present time, the mutual celebration of final victory should not be much delayed.’ General Simonds, who delivered the message, added that ‘The Battle of Chambois decided the fate of the war in Normandy as well as that of the entire French Republic.’

Hill 262 came to be known to the Canadians as the ‘Polish Battlefield.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Please keep posting badges - let's continue this fascinating subject

The famous 8th infantry regiment

Known also as “bloody shirts”
    after the blood marks on the shirt of the regiment comander col Nowaczynski after the Falaise battle

Statistics
    Killed 187 (inc 5 officers)
    Wounded 635 (inc 30 oficers)
    Missing 6
    Virtuti Militari (V class) -30
    Cross of Valour 288
    France and Germany Star - 1356
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

3mk
    ?

Do you mind sparing 1 of your badges
    Im still looking for mine but i hope i get one soon!

?

Does anyone know how often was "Znak Pancerny" given to foreign officers?
    I have a picture of an Estonian captain wearing the same badge. I guess it has something to do with selling of 6 TKS tankettes to Estonia in 1934/35.

BR

LoCo

Keep looking - it is a great fun tracking down the rare badges. I have been trying to find the Podhalianian Rifles Regiment of Polish 1 Armoured Division for the last 3 years with no result!

It is really incredible how strong the collectors’ interest have become with respect to Polish WW2 memorabilia – both domestically and internationally.
    I remember 7-10 years ago in London’s Angel Market (sadly closed couple of years ago) it was possible to pick up interesting items.
    Nowadays, even good auction houses / sites do only occasionally offer genuine and quality badges.

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Do you mind sparing 1 of your badges
    Im still looking for mine but i hope i get one soon!

Page 2 of 148 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast