Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polish ring 1940

Article about: Hi guys; A friend of mine, found this ring while he was searching with a metal detector in Nottinghamshire/ England... It is 1940 dated (19 on one side and 40 on the other) and in the front

Default Polish ring 1940

Hi guys;

A friend of mine, found this ring while he was searching with a metal detector in Nottinghamshire/ England...
    It is 1940 dated (19 on one side and 40 on the other) and in the front stands Jerusalem
    Knows someone more about this kind of rings and the value to it?

Many thanx so far!
    Kind regards,
    Pieter.

Polish ring 1940Polish ring 1940Polish ring 1940

Never seen one before, but I like it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hello Pieter,

Nice find! I can't offer you much in terms of value (not something that we focus on here) but I can shed some light on what it is. This is most likely souvenir of a Pole stationed in the Middle / Near east, probably an ex POW freed from Soviet captivity who made his way west along with the Polish 2nd Corps. The "Krzyż Jerozolimski" (Jerusalem Cross) is the arms of Kingdom of Jerusalem founded by the Crusaders. This 5-cross motif found its way onto various different items produced for and by the Poles symbolizing an observant Roman Catholic Pole's pilgrimage to the Holy Land, with the Medal Pielgrzyma (Pilgrim Medal) being the most prominent item. I’ve posted some of these items below.

Medal Pielgrzyma (Pilgrim Medal) - issued in three grades, bronze, silver and gold:

Polish ring 1940

Award document issued in to Polish NCO:

Polish ring 1940

Legia Oficerska (Officers Legion) badge:

Polish ring 1940

Hat Eagles (images courtesy of Zawistowski 1939-45):

Polish ring 1940

Polish ring 1940

Small silver cross often seen on headwear:

Polish ring 1940

Polish ring 1940

Polish ring 1940

Badge:

Polish ring 1940

Polish ring 1940

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Very interesting ring!....

Wauw; thank you very much for the answer Tony and Ade!!

Kind regards, Pieter.

?

My mother gave me this a couple of days ago. I think it belonged to my uncle Peter who was in the 1st Polish Armoured Division. I have put him on this forum before. Any info would be greatly appeciated.Polish ring 1940Polish ring 1940Polish ring 1940Polish ring 1940

Hi Alex,

Not much I can really add as far as information other than I like the look of this one. It stands out against the sea of fake Polish soldiers rings that are flogged on line. Thanks for sharing it with us . Am I seeing correctly that the eagle is in gold?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hi Tony, Yes it is a gold eagle. Alex

Hi! Your post here really helped me. My grandfather Jozef Odecki escaped Poland and made his way to Kazakhstan where he joined the Polish army. He was in the Polish 2nd Corps, 3rd Carpathian Infantry Division and fought in Monte Cassino. I have a ring of his exactly like the one you found, with an eagle, Jerusalem cross, and 19 40 on it. I only found it after he died so I didn't know where he got it from, but I'm glad you posted your find here because I was able to learn that it really is an artifact from his time in WW2. If anyone can provide any more information or context, it's really valuable to me and I appreciate any knowledge that can be shared.

Polish ring 1940Polish ring 1940Polish ring 1940

Hello Odcecki,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, I have looked through the Register of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross without finding your Grandfather Józef Odcecki listed as a Recipient.

The only details that I found where from the pages of 3DSK Soldiers and the Kresy-siberia wall of tribute web sites which both list your Grandfathers information as follows :

Surname : Odcecki

Christian Name : Józef

Date of Birth : 1925

Army Number : (Also found on His ID Tags) : 1925-5-III

Unit : 3KPAPLot (3rd Carpathian Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment)

I will keep searching to see if I can find anything else on your Grandfather.

Once again Welcome to the Forum

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast