Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Polish soldiers in France 1940

Article about: Hi all, As some of you may or may not know, my father was a Polish soldier in WW2. To honour my father's memory and to honour the sacrifice made by Polish soldiers in the war against Nazi an

Default Re: Polish soldiers in France 1940

Quote by dastier View Post
    Interesting, I just found my father's English-Polish /Polish-English dictionary from the Polish Red Cross complete with nurses names plus a Miss Betty Goodwin written in the back.
    I have several of those too; dictionaries, phrase books, a book on english etiquette and letter writing, though none quite so umm, colourfully annotated LOL. My grandad being a married man at the time might have had something to do with that...

In this particular booklet, the Polish pronounciation of the French words and phrases is just so funny...

Quote by Reynard View Post
    I have several of those too; dictionaries, phrase books, a book on english etiquette and letter writing, though none quite so umm, colourfully annotated LOL. My grandad being a married man at the time might have had something to do with that...
    I have some period maps of Scotland and some other items of usefulness for the Polish soldier in Britain. I also have some photos of my dad with a family in Scotland and a few girlfriend photos. Very pretty women! But not for this thread - a future one perhaps.

Quote by Reynard View Post
    In this particular booklet, the Polish pronounciation of the French words and phrases is just so funny...
    Is it possible to post a few for our enjoyment? Is there a way to get the mispronounciation across in English or do you have to be able to read Polish?

Quote by dastier View Post
    I have some period maps of Scotland and some other items of usefulness for the Polish soldier in Britain. I also have some photos of my dad with a family in Scotland and a few girlfriend photos. Very pretty women! But not for this thread - a future one perhaps.
    Same here. I have newspapers, bits and pieces from the Polish - Scottish Society and other such stuff.

Is it possible to post a few for our enjoyment? Is there a way to get the mispronounciation across in English or do you have to be able to read Polish?
    Will do. I'll get the scanner out and zap a few pages. The phonetics are in Polish, so yes, it does help a little, though not essential I think. I also have a 1939 map of the Paris metro somewhere, but goodness knows in which box it actually is...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5