Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

technical terms

Article about: Hello, I am new to the forum. I have been dropping in a few times, and I would like to add that I enjoy the forum very much - a great community of fellow collectors! I have been reading thro

Default technical terms

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have been dropping in a few times, and I would like to add that I enjoy the forum very much - a great community of fellow collectors!

I have been reading through some Polish materials and I am not sure about the difference between two army posts:

My question: what is the difference between a szef kompanii and a dowodzca kompanii - it would seem to me that a dowodzca is more in charge, but szef sounds like a more important position.

Any help in clarifying this would be much appreciated
    Thanks in advance!

?

Default Re: technical terms

Welcome aboard BD !!

Possibly the difference is one company is more of a "Staff" company, and the other a "HQ" type field company.

No doubt someone here will be able to define the technical difference more clearly !

Regards

Gary J.

Hello,

The differences:
    DOWODCA KOMPANII - it is company commander (Captain)
    SZEF KOMPANII - it is company sergeant (NCO responsible for all logistic, etc. matters.

Coy NCO is subordinated to coy commander.

Greetings
    Rafal

Thank you the welcome and thank you to both Gary and Rafal!

Rafal, or perhaps someone else... I am curious about the differences when the Polish Army (particularly the Anders Army) adopted a British style army structure. It must have taken some time for the Polish soldiers, especially the Polish officers and soldiers who served in Poland's prewar army to get used to the new British-style military structure that was adopted by the Polish Army.

Do you know what some of the major differences where between the Polish prewar and the British style? I am thinking here about the special services especially (such as transport, supply, communications) as these had to be coordinated especially well with the British Army. Aside from adopting uniforms and equipment, do you know what the differences were in terms of ranks, positions, platoons etc?

Thanks again...

?

A good question !
    I don't think there was too much difference in the basic army structures ... Regiments, Battalions, companies ...

Although, Rafal might be able fill in some of the details (if any) where "independent" Brigades and units were concerned.

Where the British concept of the "independent" Brigade entails coverage of Fighting men in their stacked units, backed up by their own transport, medics, sappers etc, ... did the pre-war Polish Army have such units ? or were they purely regimented ?

Regards

Gary J.

Hello,
    I am not an expert in pre-1939 Polish Army structure, but have basic knowledge. I also enclosed a few useful links.

Polish Army of 2nd Republic had regimental system of units for basic troops like infantry, cavalry, artillery, etc.

Main part of Polish Army created infantry regiments formed in 30 infantry divisions.

Each infantry regiment consisted of 3 infantry bns and supporting platoons of recce, AT, signal, NBC defence, artillery, engineers, etc.

Infantry Division consisted of 3 infantry regiments, light artillery regiment, signal coy and enginner troops. During wartime structure divisions were reinforcement as well as reserve infantry divisions were formed.

Generally there was no brigades except cavalry brigades consisting of 3 or 4 cavalry regiments, horse artillery squadron and supporting troops.

Polish cavalry brigade order of battle in 1939 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More useful liks:

Polish army order of battle in 1939 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://198.106.175.129/v3ew/ewpoles.pdf

I hope it will help a little bit.

Greetings
    Rafal