Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty

Article about: It is remarkable that those few pictures that were taken survived given the risks "partisans" in them faced of being identified by the various enemies of the Polish resistance move

Default 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty

I have been collecting items related to this division.
    Here is a photo of some of them.

Does anybody have any other items ?

Default Re: 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty

Hi meyle77, and thank you for sharing these items from your collection. Have you read this book? Recommended reading as it is both a riveting story of one soldier's experiences and a detailed account of the combat history of the 27th Wolynian Infantry Division.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty   27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty  

27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Here is mine, it is in polish. Maybe some day I will translate it. This was one of the first books written in Poland about the 27th Division. It came out in 1986, for many years the topic of 27th was forbidden in Poland. Book was written by Capt. Michal Fijalka, cichociemny who commanded a company "Sokol" in 27th. Cpt Fijalka was also famous for a prison raid in Pinsk when he, and three other cichociemni : Por Jan Piwnik, famous "Ponury", Por Jan Rogowski "Czarka", Por Waclaw Kopisto "Kra" plus some AK personnel broke out another cichociemny Dr Alfred Paczkowski "Wania" who was being tortured by Gestapo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty   27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty  

Here is a dedication to that book: it is signed by my Great Uncle Por Romuald Gornicki, nom de guerre "Remus". It says:

Dear Tom,
    I feel honored that You are interested in history of the fighting in Wolyn in which I took part.
    Por. Romuald Gornicki, company commander in Battalion "Luna" or "Krwawa Luna" (Shadow, or Bloody Shadow) in 27th Wolynian Infantry Division AK.
    Given KW.
    I took part in war of 1939 in 1st Pulk Piechoty Legionow from Wilno and later underground AK. Have been persecuted by NKVD and UB. Spent 1944-1947 in russian prisoner camp.
    Warsaw, 11/26/2004
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty  

Sadly he passed away February 26, 2010. He was a great man, a hero. He is featured prominantly in many books.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty  

Hi Tom, thanks for sharing what is undoubtedly a very important item in your collection. You are fortunate to have known this courageous man and national hero.

Quote by Itakdalej View Post
    . . . Maybe some day I will translate it . . .
    Yes, sooner than later please!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Have you looked at the online photo archives of 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty at the Narodowego Archiwum Cyfrowego?

URL: Zbiory NAC on-line - prototyp

There are literally dozens of 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty photos and a few voice recordings of memoir accounts (in Polish) just copy & paste 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty into the search box...cool militariacool militariacool militaria

I think I also have might have some relevant photos in my own AK collection so will look over the next couple of days and post them. I am also pretty sure the National Archives, Kew, London has a photo album of 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty photos smuggled out of Poland by an escaped British PoW that was fighting in the AK. :)
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks Tony for the kind words about Por. Remus. Growing up I remember his war activities were spoken about in whispers for the 27th Division was taboo until late 80's. I did not learn the truth about him until late 90's. One note about pictures: when I asked him wheteher he had some pictures he said :" pictures would condemn You, first if Germans found them, then russians and then the UB ".

AK 27 Wołyńska Dywizja Piechoty—1944

I have about 40 such photos taken during 1944.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I have looked for photos, specifically of Battalion "Luna" or "Krwawa Luna". Very few exist of the 1st company, but of 2nd company where "Remus" was the commander I found none, that is not say that some exist, somewhere. There was a book written about "Krwawa Luna" and it has some pictures but once again mostly of 1st company.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast