Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help with identification- a unit badge? ???

Article about: I've posted this elsewhere but I think it is more relevant to this forum - I'm trying to identify the small badge/medal in the photo below worn between the two Soviet star awards. Does it lo

?

Default Help with identification- a unit badge? ???

I've posted this elsewhere but I think it is more relevant to this forum - I'm trying to identify the small badge/medal in the photo below worn between the two Soviet star awards. Does it look familiar to anyone?
    Help with identification- a unit badge? ???

This is from a photo of Moshe Gildenman (ca.1950) wearing his medals on an everyday/civilian shirt. Gildenman was a Polish (Ukrainian) Jew who escaped from the Korets Ghetto (Autumn 1942) to become a partisan. He served with the Soviet Partisan forces (from January 1943) before being merged into the Red Army (October 1943), where he served as an interpreter and an engineer. After the war he published wartime stories in the Lodz Jewish press. He moved to Paris where he published several books then emigrated to Israel ca.1952 (died 1957). His Soviet medals were war time awards but, from what I can gather from other sources, the Polish awards were presented in 1958.

?

I think I've got it:

Help with identification- a unit badge? ??? Help with identification- a unit badge? ???

It sure looks the part, though the size (at 36x45mm) might not be right. Any thoughts?

Now I just need to find out why he would wear such a badge. He was already an engineer going into the war. Why would he later go through Polish officer's engineering (let alone another vocational) school? Unless it was in an honorific in recognition of what he had done previously?