Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz

Article about: i was just joking about cleaning it.

Default Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz

Here are some pics and scans of this grouping. The german wehrpass belonged to a german soldier that Rotmistrz Medwicz killed in or around town of Rabka and kept his wehrpass.Attachment 198068Attachment 198065Attachment 198066Attachment 198067
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz   Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz  

Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz   Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz  

Last edited by Krakow1; 04-21-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: copyright

Default Re: Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz

Rotmistrz Roman MedwiczRotmistrz Roman MedwiczRotmistrz Roman MedwiczRotmistrz Roman Medwiczmore pics

more scans
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz   Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz  

Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz   Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz  

and some more, tomorrow I will post pictures of his VM.

Extremely interesting collection
    Thank you for posting.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Superb!

It always seems strange to me that the German insignia was not removed from the captured uniforms right away. I know I would not have wanted to wear it if I were in their position.

Cheers, Ade.

pictures of his VM

Rotmistrz Roman Medwicz  
    Last edited by Krakow1; 01-15-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Itakdalej, many thanks for sharing this fine grouping.

Interesting that the Virtuti Militari cross appears to be a Jan Knedler product bearing the typical pre-war Polish hallmarks. The Knedler dies supposedly survived the war and were used to re-strike crosses, although my understanding is that these re-strikes were not stamped in silver. This cross does appear very much like the one pictured in the portrait, but hard to say for certain. Do you know if this is in fact the issue cross?

Thanks again,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

My brother had known the Rormistrz personally, was a visitor to his house few times, and that cross was only one Rotmistrz displayed/posessed. and after his death in 2001
    my brother was able to purchase all of his memorabilia from the widow. There was only one cross there- the one pictured. If you look at his pictures he was a pre war cavalry officer, had some time in 8th Pulk Ulanow in Krakow, 1939 he was assigned to 5 Pulk Strzelcow Konnych , these guys were snazy dressers and all about a snazzy appearances, so we believe that he had gotten a prewar silver cross somewhere (not certain where) than had his numbers put on it. But for certain it is the cross that he is wearing in the picture. Also, if You look at he pictures he is wearing that cross in the Legitymacja picture that was taken in Poland. His initial award date was sometime in 1944/45, first verification of it by AK Polish authorities in 1946, and he is wearing that cross in prior to the London Legitymacja being issued, so maybe in Londo they saw that he was already in posession of a cross and did not send him one. The cross is dirty, i have never attempted to clean it but I am sure it would polish up like in the picture.?? Also if You think how dangerous it was in 1946-48 having pictures made in Poland in a battledress wearing a pre-war Virtuti. That is what they called " kawaleryjska fantazja" long time ago. There were no uniforms at his home when my brother gotten the group. I have some more docs and pictures relating to him. Also if You think about it: how many soldiers that killed an enemy soldier kept their documents?

Hi again and thanks for your reply. On first glace I assumed that the pictures of Rotmistrz Medwicz in British pattern battledress were taken in the UK. Do you know for certain that these were taken in Poland? And if so then yes, it would have been a very risky photo session!!

It does make sense that he somehow obtained a pre-war cross when he was first informed of his VM award several years before the formal London recognition. When you get an opportunity please do post the other documents and photographs that you have.

Regards,
    Tony

PS lastly – please do not clean the cross!!
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast