Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards

Article about: Hello, I picked up these what I belive to be Syrian Dog Tags & ID Cards from the 6 day war in 1967 they come from a group of an Israeli soldier… maybe someone can read Arabic and trans

?

Default Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards

Hello,
    I picked up these what I belive to be Syrian Dog Tags & ID Cards from the 6 day war in 1967 they come from a group of an Israeli soldier… maybe someone can read Arabic and translate me these i would also be interested if the tags & ID cards somehow belong together to the same person????

Best regards.
    - Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards   Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards
    P
    Many

?

Not sure how I missed this. The thread might be better placed in the ‘Post WWII Conflicts”

I think you have a group of random items from both 67 and 73 war for Syria, Egypt and Jordan, could be from the same soldier but they would need to be active on a number of fronts over three wars.

I don’t read Arabic but I do have a growing collection of these items that I also try an decipher. Google translate on your phone now includes Arabic and you can use your camera, it’s a bit random but you can take a reasonable guess.

To your specific question.
    1. The ID card in the red wallet is Egyptian, this pattern eagle was used in the 73 war
    2. The dog tag included I don’t think is for the same person the personal numbers don’t align. I’ve not seen this type of tag before the similarity with a French tag may point to Syrian
    3. White ID card is Egyptian, the eagle indicates UAR, but Syria although part of the UAR never really used this the badgeless beret is indicator of Egyptian.
    4. Again the tag doesn’t look like it aligns - I think this type is Syrian, I have a similar one that came with Syrian stuff

I can help identify the badges, ranks and buttons if you haven’t done that already.

How big is the flag, I would like to see a full photo of that if possible and the cloth ranks.

Steve.
    Last edited by Tinhat; 07-26-2022 at 12:53 AM.

?

Here are my dog tags

The first I think is Syrian. It's the same tag because it's shinny it photographed differently.

This one possibly Jordanian

It's really hard to accurately identify these and its a real shame your tags and ID card don't align that would have helped a lot

Steve
    Last edited by Tinhat; 07-25-2022 at 06:56 PM.

?

Steve,
    Like i said in pn, Sorry for late reply... Here more pictures of the flag and all the other stuff..hope that helps.

I think you are on point whit most of the stuff... I do agree with all you said.

I the last picture of a tag you uploaded is i think egyptian????... Jordanian tags i think were the british type of one round and one oval tag... Im mainly a dog tag collector so i only collect these things here, i do have a american friend who showed me the same tag you showed there describe as egyptian after i showed him my tags... Thats why i say that i will send him a picture of your tag and ask.

- Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards   Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards  

Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards   Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards  

?

Sorry the pictures somehow didnt show up in chronological order... The size of the flag is in cm...

Here is the translation i got from an arabic speaker on the dog tags and ID Cards.

So like you said correctly the ID cards are egyptian.

?

Here is as far as i know about these middle eastern dog tags... I upload some pictures.

Jordanian tags first:

Egyptian Tags 2nd:

?

Thanks for posting Ben.

The flag or more correctly pennant , I’ll put the same information here that I put in the pm, is interesting, the third star being added would have happened after 1962 when Syria adopted the three-star version. These can bee seen on tanks, but not everyone so leads me to think a unit commander.

Most of the rank stripes are Syrian, with exception of the blue strips, they are Egyptian, and I believe also the curved ones in the same photo are Egyptian. The shield is a senior Syrian warrant officer, the highest rank before a commissioned officer, they come with one and two stars also.

My tag could be Egyptian, I only though Jordanian because it came with other Jordanian stuff, it makes complete sense that they would have the British – should have thought of that.

Thanks again,
    Steve.

?

Here’s photo of another lot that was for sale in Israel which I didn’t buy, these are all Jordanian items, but now I question the dog tag in the top right-hand corner.

Steve

?

Thumbs up

I have heard from the israeli guy i bought the that stuff from he bought it all at fleamarkets in Israel... So all of it is trophy stuff captured during the 6 day war or the yom kippur war etc... I think most of these sellers are honestly just really dont know themselves what they sell????

On the photo you showed you actually see on of the Buttons and the arab language Tab is the same than in my group... So it really was just Sold together as a Set on the fleamarket maybe???? Assembled from syrian, egyptian and jordanian stuff.

Your Syrian tags are 100% syrian its got the small "addressograph" stamp on the back... these tags were bought by syria but i think too late for the 6 day war... so its likely from the yom kippur war... You see the same addressograph also on the school children Cold War tags from major cities in the US... And other US Civilian tags in general... I attach pictures... One syrian tag, one US Civilian tag and your syrian tag.

Yes i think the top right tag in that photo is not jordanian... But the top left tag is.

Thanks for your Break down on the stuff i bought... Appreciate it.

- Ben

Attached Images Attached Images Arabic (Syrian) Dog Tags & ID Cards 

?

Here's a list of what you have, it's easier to do it by photo than long descriptions. Syrian stuff didn't change much between the two main wars.

1. Egyptian – 1922 – 1953, probably from the 1956 Sinai campaign, I don’t believe they had everyone change their buttons after the revolution.
    2. Jordan Arab Army – post 1956
    3. Egyptian, post 1953 revolution, probably Six Day War, the buttons changed when Sadat took power.

1. Syrian epaulette rank, equivalent of Major and above if paired with others.
    2. Syrian epaulette rank pip, equivalent of 2nd lieutenant and above if paired with others
    3. Syrian enlisted cap / beret badge
    4. Jordan Arab Army – post 1956
    5. Egyptian, enlisted cap badge / beret 1972-1984
    6. Jordan Aran Army post 1956 epaulette title all ranks

1. Egyptian rank pip, equivalent of 2nd lieutenant and above if paired with others
    2. Egyptian corporal (fairly sure of that)
    3. Syrian army shoulder badge, also seen on caps
    4. Syrian Private 1st class or similar, black background is Armor I think, need to check and if the red means anything
    5. Syrian Corporal
    6. Egyptian army corporal, 1960s onwards
    7. Egyptian army cap badge, 1953-1972, junior officer
    8. Egyptian epaulette rank, equivalent of major and above if paired with others
    9. Syrian cap badge, not confirmed this but I believe its warrant officer or senior NCO

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast